xml import failure with SQL Expection

Vickey Lepcha January 8, 2016

As I try to import an xml backup file - the restoration fails with below SQL Exception ;

SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO cwd_group (ID, group_name, lower_group_name, active, local, created_date, updated_date, description, lower_description, group_type, directory_id) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ORA-12899: value too large for column "JIRA"."CWD_GROUP"."DESCRIPTION" (actual: 258, maximum: 255)

SEN-2400644

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2016

What versions of JIRA are you on (i.e. what was the export made on, and what version are you importing it into?)

I am on 6.3.4 and the version that I am importing it on is also 6.3.4 . My case here is that I have done a fresh installation of 6.3.4 and I am importing the file that has been generated in another 6.3.4 environment to this new environment. Basically , I want a duplicate environment of jira but pointing to a new database.

ok - looks like I got the problem. seems like my dev team had increased the table size in the source jira instance - so the xml file had data with more than 255 limits. Edited the table limit in new db as well and restored successfully.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2016

Hmm. You *really* shouldn't be changing the database like that. It renders your system unsupported (and will turn round and bite on all your transfers and upgrades). Please, undo it.

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2016

Strong +1 to what Nic has said. If your DBA spots that we're missing an index we need, that's one thing (and please tell us!) Altering the structure of the datamodel. changing the types and sizes of columns, etc. is just plain not a good idea. Even if it works today, there is no telling what weird and wonderful headaches it will give you tomorrow.

Suggest an answer