where do I set user permissions?

George Osborne August 9, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Manage users and groups

Ask your question here...

4 answers

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

You can create a group for each of the Client and put it's respective member in that group and grant "Browse" permissions in the project only to the corresponding group. i.e. for Client A -> group A -> Project A browse permissions and for Client B -> group B -> Project B browse permissions.

The browse permission is part of the Permission scheme of a project - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-project-permissions-802592442.html

Thanks Tarun. I did what I think you said, namely I created a group for each client and put a client user as the member of the group. But how do I do the next bit please? I have created a project  but if I select it from the project list then instinctively click on 'Permissions' I'm faced with a whole array of things in a 'default software scheme' that allows 'any logged in user' to do almost anything. The 'learn more about project schemes' doesn't work and the 'Permission helper' doesn't help. Ugh! Any help gratefully received.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

In this link - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-project-permissions-802592442.html

Follow the steps from "Creating the permission scheme" and once the scheme is ready you can map the scheme to the project, just remeber to give the respective groups "browse" permissions as there are lot of diff. permissions which are part of permission  scheme and most of them like "create", "resolve" permissions etc are self explanatory.

Thanks Tarun, I have created a group for each client ( Client Group A, B, C etc) and put a client user as the member of each relevant group (Client User A, B, C etc) then I created a permission scheme for each (Permission Scheme A, B, C etc) and associated each Permission Scheme with each relevant project. So, where A is a client project:

Client Group A has a client A user in it.

Permission Scheme A allows only Project Browsing only

Permission Scheme A is associated with Project A 

So I think that means that my client user A can log in and browse Project A. Is that right? 

The next question that arises is who else can get access to the project. For example the development team, the 'owner' or the administrators. Do I have to edit the Permission Scheme to allow the 'owner' and administrators and the tech team?

Also, following on from above, when I look at permissions for a group there are some confusing groups to choose from. There are 6 different 'administrator' groups: Administrators; Confluence Administrators; JIRA Administrators; System Administrators; Site admins; Atlasssian Addons Admin. I don't know what they all are. I want to allow the two administrators and the TechTeam group to have full access.

0 votes

We are a small team of four with three development projects for three clients and some internal projects. Two of the team can be regarded as the technical group with the same extensive permissions to access all projects. The other two of us are administrators. The three clients are not related and should only be able to see their respective projects and should not be able to see any mention of any other project. Could you help me to set this up please? I've tried the documentation but until I'm familiar with the system it won't make much sense. Thanks

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2016

You can create a group for each of the Client and put it's respective member in that group and grant "Browse" permissions in the project only to the corresponding group. i.e. for Client A -> group A -> Project A browse permissions and for Client B -> group B -> Project B browse permissions.

The browse permission is part of the Permission scheme of a project - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-project-permissions-802592442.html

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2016

For the whole of JIRA you can use the "GLobal Permissions" in the admin section and for individual projects you can use the "Permissions" section in the project "summary" admin section.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2016

In the permission schemes for the project(s) you're looking at.

Suggest an answer