what type of file should I get. TAR, ZIP, or Installer

Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Installing additional applications and version updates

Ask your question here...

5 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

Ok, if you'd said that when I asked, I'd have been able to help faster.

I'd agree that the docs are not 100% clear here, in that they lead you to a new installation of not-latest, rather than an upgrade, and that page doesn't really highlight what you need to do here.

The reason your downloads are not usable is that you have been led to new installation files for the whole of JIRA + Service Desk.  What you need is just the application file for not-latest Service Desk. 

Go back to the download link that is in the doc.  Follow the link to "JSD Available Versions".  Instead of downloading a version from here, look for the link below for "Already have JIRA Software or JIRA Core?".  This will take you to the download page for just the JSD versions, grab 3.1.0 from there and follow the upload/install as you did before.

You were really close, and the docs really don't make the path you needed clear at all. 

I'd also warn you that Atlassian software does not support downgrades.  With a minor drop from 3.1.1 to 3.1.0, you are probably ok, but you might not be.

By the way, they pulled comments because they were not leading to doc improvement - far too many of them were whinges, edge cases, or "me too", which were swamping the useful comments that should be leading to updates.  Atlassian are looking at better routes for suggestions, including the direct labelling as you've used here, or maybe raising specific service desk requests on support.atlassian.com (I've had good responses to raising documentation improvements under their specific applications in the past, but I think a dedicated service type for it would be better)

0 votes
Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

I'm on JIRA Software 7.1.1 need service desk 3.1.0 instead of 3.1.1. According to that document, I can update to a version that is not the latest available. I sure I'm looking at the right document. Also, trying to make sure the documentation is complete. Previously we would just add a comment, but there is no comments anymore.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

Without knowing what you're trying to accomplish, I can't even validate that you're looking at the right document, let alone the rest of it.

0 votes
Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2016

Independently from why I'm doing this or what's the end goal. I'm following the documentation for "Updating installed applications to different version" but lacks details on the file type needed to upload. Since there is no comments section under the document for requesting more details this was my only option. Lets say for x reason I need to install service desk 3.0 In order to do that I would need to follow the steps described in the document. This states that I need to upload the downloaded application obtained from one of the links. There are many options as far as file format goes, TAR, ZIP, BIN etc... In the document it never clarifies which format to use. Either way I tried all available formats and none of them worked. Keeps saying that the format is not supported.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

Depends on what you're doing with it.

Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Installing additional applications and version updates

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

That tells us precisely nothing about what you are trying to do with a download.  Please tell us what you are trying to do here?

Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2016

Updating installed applications to different version

Sometimes you may need to update an application to a version that is not the latest available. This could be due to compatibility requirements with your JIRA Core version, or due to your license restricting you to updates prior to maintenance expiring.

When you want to update an installed application to a version that is not the latest available, you first need to download the version update file. You can browse available versions, along with their compatibility, on the Atlassian website:

Make sure the version you download is compatible with your JIRA Core version. Once you've downloaded the update file, you can manually install it:

1. Choose  > Applications.
  2. Select the Upload an application link. 
  3. Browse to the update file you downloaded.
  4. Click the Upload button. A progress bar for your upload will display, and confirm when it's been uploaded and installed.
  5. Your application is now updated to the version you selected.
Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2016

I already tried all types, none work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

You still have not explained what you are doing.  Quoting bits of the docs at us does not answer that question.  That section startes with "sometimes".  Define what those "sometimes" are.

"I already tried all types" still does not tell us what you are doing or why.

What are you trying to do?  Why are you asking about the type of download?  What is the starting point and the end goal?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events