tools to manage tickets

Jeremy Mordkoff December 22, 2015

I need to organize a large group of JIRA tickets. I want to sort them into groups by adding labels. So I am looking for a tool that will walk me through a list of JIRA tickets and ask me to pick one of a set of labels for each one.

Is there any such tool? 

4 answers

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2015

By tool you mean an add-on? Have you tried doing a JIRA Bulk Update which does not need any add-on?

Reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/modifying-multiple-bulk-issues-185729606.html

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2015

What you would need to reduce the number of clicks then is a checkbox or radio button custom field, not labels. If you set one of those fields in View and Edit screens, you should be able to select a value without actually going into Edit mode. That only works well if you have a relatively small number of choices though, and you can't add new categories without editing the custom field.

If that's not an option either, then good luck. A sort of "quick label" plugin just doesn't exist, and would be way too specific to be worth developing IMO. You're gonna use it once, and then never again. Bad return on investment for whoever codes that plugin.

0 votes
Jeremy Mordkoff December 23, 2015

I am trying to add labels so I can organize a large pool of bugs. There is no query I can run today to generate these lists so bulk update cannot help me yet. Once I have these labels, bulk update will be my friend.

Here's what I think I want – given a query and a list of labels, show me each bug in the query and give me the opportunity to pick one of the labels and immediately move on to the next bug.

right now, I have to type "l", start typing a label, enter, enter, "j" just to do one bug. I'm trying to get this down to 1 click per bug. 

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2015

I personally hate labels, since they're not project-specific. I'd use components if possible. But yeah, if you can filter your issues so you get a complete list off issues that belong to group A, you can bulk edit to add label A, then do the same for each group.

If your difficulty is just that since your issues don't have labels or other identifiable fields, it's hard to filter to get only the issues you want... then I don't see how any tool would help you. You'd need to go through each issue and figure out their labels based on their description and whatnot.

Suggest an answer