there are no writable directories to create the default group for the new license

Graham Duerden March 19, 2016

5 answers

0 votes
diana meyer July 28, 2017

I experienced this same error against a postgres 9.6 database. I replaced the pre-packaged postgres driver in the lib directory with a newer version, stopped/restarted jira and that worked. 

GeraSimVer September 16, 2019

Такой же способ подошел и для меня! Использую Postgres 9.4

0 votes
Patrick Poh January 19, 2017

Graham/Michael, I have run into the same issue as you (same scenario with two separate servers) - did you ever locate what folder had to change? on which server, JIRA or database?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2017

Again, it's not a "folder" error.  Your system is unable to write to your user directory (list of users, not file directory)

Like kexiu wu likes this
Matt Simoneau April 20, 2018

How do you turn the internal directory back on when you can't get through the setup? What file do you need to edit to remedy this?

0 votes
Michael Blake March 19, 2016

Our database server is separate from our application server.  Our application server has full write permissions for the JIRA userid.  Do we need to have an open directory on the database server? also what directory needs to be available?  (btw, I work with graham, the user who asked the question in the first place)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2016

It's not the database, it's the user directory inside the application.  Admin -> User directories.  The error message suggests that the system has been hooked up to LDAP or some other directory in a read-only mode, and the internal directory switched off.  It needs at least one directory to be read/write so it can add groups.

0 votes
Graham Duerden March 19, 2016

Sorry, for the lack of context, fat finger syndrome... I hit this error during the installation wizard once I've added the licence key and I'm trying to save the admin account.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2016

Did you select the internal directory for users when setting it up?  (If it didn't ask you, then the answer is "yes" because it'll do it automatically)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2016

You need at least one active writeable user directory to hold the groups in.  The internal directory should be ok for this, but is it showing as disabled  or removed?

Suggest an answer