text filter - exclude issues

Elsa Gunnarsdottir February 6, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Search syntax for text fields

I have this filter: "assignee is EMPTY AND Groups in cascadeOption(19070, 19111) AND resolution is EMPTY"  and I need to exclude all issues that have certain text in the summary - how do i do that?

the summary text for all issues can be very different but some have the same text, like end of employment, and i want to exclude it from my filter.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2017

Should be able to say something like

and summary !~ "end of employment"

I'm not too impressed by the fuzzy searches JIRA does with sentences (it's fine with single words), so I'd check that logic without the ! to see that it includes them correctly.

Elsa Gunnarsdottir February 7, 2017

Thank you! It works.

0 votes
Craig Beuker September 20, 2023

I finally got this to work after figuring out that it needed to be placed before the ( AND created >= -30d order by created DESC ) section of the string and after the ( ASSIGNEE ) part. So mine looked like this:

project = CTAMS AND issuetype = "Service Request" AND status in (Pending, "Waiting for customer", "Waiting for support", "Open") AND assignee in (633d916d140ba0bf651dead3, 638f886f5fce844d606ce4a8, EMPTY) AND Summary !~ "expect" AND Summary !~ "collect" AND created >= -200d order by created DESC

Where it was placed was vital to me figuring this out.

0 votes
Yash Kadam January 12, 2022

How to include special character in the string to exclude?

Ex: Summary !~ "[Backend]"

Used brackets just for reference, any other special characters such as parenthesis and curly braces, etc.

0 votes
AYUSH JAIN August 25, 2020

At last use the query as summary !~ "Write here not contain included text"

For Ex:-

summary !~ "backend"

now the issues will appear in which this text is not present

Suggest an answer