segfault error in /var/log/messages

Lokesh Raizada May 18, 2016

Our application is running on java version "1.6.0_25".

java -version

java version "1.6.0_25" Java(TM)

SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_25-b06)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode).

And everytime our process is getting killed, we are also getting the message in /var/log/messages as below -

kernel: java[31724]: segfault at 00002aab06729ff8 rip 00002b1d93b19b22 rsp 00002aab0672a000 error 6

Is this happening because of java version "1.6.0_25" and we also need to upgrade to some other version?

I have not found any proper solution for this. Please help.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2016

Java 1.6 is not an appropriate Java version for more recent versions of JIRA.

What version of JIRA are you on?

Lokesh Raizada May 18, 2016

Sorry, I am new to this. How to check the JIRA version?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2016

If it's running, then you can go to it in the browser and look at the version at the bottom of all the pages.

If it's not running, then have a look at he install directory name (default installs include the version in that) and then the files inside the directory.

Lokesh Raizada May 25, 2016

Hi Nic,

I still can't find the version of JIRA. Why the JIRA version has anything to do with the version of JDK on which our application is working?

All I want to know is ->

If application is using java version "1.6.0_25", will that be the reason that the application process is getting killed automatically with the error message in /var/log/messages as "kernel: java[31724]: segfault at 00002aab06729ff8 rip 00002b1d93b19b22 rsp 00002aab0672a000 error 6"?

Also, why or in which scenario this error is logged by the application. Is that what we have to fix in the application itself.

Please help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2016

A seg fault is consistent with using the wrong version of Java for JIRA, what version are you running?

Lokesh Raizada June 1, 2016

I don't know the version of JIRA.

Java version is "1.6.0_25"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

If you can't tell us the version of JIRA, we can't possibly tell you whether it might be compatible with the version of Java you are running.

All we can really tell you is "stop running whatever version it is, and start again - download and run a version that is valid for Java 1.6"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events