scrum board jql query assistance

Shariyar Rashid-Qazi November 1, 2016

Hi I'm having trouble configuring a new board to the tailors of a user.

In essence the user wants the Sub-Tasks to be the columns of the scrum board, and the Main (Parent) tasks to be the swimlanes of the scrum board. Below are attachments of the flow and basic configuration to provide some more insight.

My current JQL query has allowed me to grant the swimlanes for the main (Parent) tasks, however I have been struggling to adapt the Query for it to allow the sub-tasks to move within that swimlane rather than the parent tasks.

As of now the parent tasks are move-able in accordance with the flow and the sub-tasks go to the "Everything Else" lane and can be moved as required.

The Current Workflow. The main / Parent tasks are the larger bricks. The sub-tasks are the smaller bricks

Workflow.JPG

Current JQL Query that has allowed me to make the swimlanes as required

Current Swimlane.JPG

Layout of the current board which the user is happy with, but shows the main tasks within the flow

Current Board.JPG

Currently the sub-tasks of the parent go to "everything else" whereas I need them to go to there corresponding parent task / swim lane.

Sub0-tasks swimlane.JPG

Hopefully that makes sense, any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2016

I'm afraid that's quite simply not going to work.  The whole point of the Scrum board is that the columns represent progress through the process and issues move across columns as they progress.  So "sub tasks as columns" is, I'm afraid, nonsense. 

Your swimlanes, while they appear to be partially working, now represent status, which is a measure of progress, so your board is pretty much showing you progress twice and little else.

Your user appears to be asking more for a grid than a form of Agile board, and I don't think you're going to be able to get boards to provide that. 

I can get you a little closer to a reasonable usage of the board if you drop the swimlanes you've got and use "stories" instead, as the sub-tasks will then run with their parents, but you're still going to have to accept that columns are progress, not sub-tasks.

But, for the grid view, you might want to take a look at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.comalatech.jira.canvas/cloud/overview - I think that can do it, especially if you re-use some of what you've got above as guidance.

Ah I see, I kind of thought as much. Thank you, I'll let the user know, it's good to have some more input on the matter. 

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that

Quick Question, so I'm fiddling with the stories alternative you suggested which works as it should, and I think that would be the best option given the circumstances but I'm curious to know if this is possible.

Quick-filters.JPG

To organize by quick-filters, i.e. if I use the Query "status = "Sign Off Requirements / AC" I can bring up the "Sign Off Requirements / AC", but the corresponding sub-tasks don't show. Only shows the parent as shown below.

Quick-filters 2.JPG

Is this due to the same issue as before?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2016

No, the sub-tasks aren't in the status you are filtering for.

Suggest an answer