quotation marks being changed to question marks

Marc L January 30, 2017

When text is being copied from Microsoft Outlook and pasted into the issue description, text that has quotation marks is being converted to question marks. Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix the issue?

Encoding Info:

System Encoding:              ANSI_X3.4-1968
webwork.i18n.encoding:    UTF-8
file.encoding.pkg:               sun.io
sun.io.unicode.encoding:   UnicodeLittle
sun.jnu.encoding:               ANSI_X3.4-1968

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2017

I've seen similar behavior. Outlook uses MS Word as the default editor and it, by default, uses 'smart quotes' which are the curly ones. when you copy/paste it looks right, but the database doesn't understand it and converts it to other characters. Oracle converts to a string of odd characters depending on if it is left/right, single, or double quotes. Usually if you overtype the quotes in the data entry box the application puts the normal ANSI characters in. Another option would be to change the editor for outlook to text.

Marc L January 31, 2017

Thanks Joe. Doesn't sound like you can make changes in JIRA directly. Would you know of any add-ons that could help?

Suggest an answer