"Freeze" issues with the option of easily "unfreezing" later if needed

Petra Goldstein January 26, 2017

We have projects on which work stops due to company project reprioritization.
In an ideal world I might just close those issues with a resolution of "project frozen" and forget about them. I'd have to modify the workflow to allow that transition from anywhere as the issues are in various states.

However, the project *may* reawaken.

I am looking for ideas on how set this up so that we can handle that (reawakening) without examining each issue. If the project "unfreezes" I'd like to put things back where they were, i.e. to the previous state. I'd like to filter for frozen issues under some criteria, and in one operation restore their state.

Note that the issues may be spread across Jira projects (typically not, but it could happen) where other issues are not frozen.

Assuming there is no straightforward solution...

Some possibilities I see

• Add resolution as above. Problem is getting out of that state without overloading the workflow and a bunch of other things.
  • Add a frozen state. All states would lead to it, and I guess it will lead to all other states. A bit of a mess... Also how do I identify the state to which needs to return?
  • Add dedicated field for this. Bad because it impacts everything.
  • ... better ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

2 answers

0 votes
Petra Goldstein January 26, 2017

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am versed in bulk change. It is indeed good for changing multiple issues. But there is quite a bit more behind the story I described than just that.

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2017

I think you already defined the approach:

- create and store a filter

- add CF and store current state to it for filtered issues

- update workflow by adding new state and forward/back transitions for it

- do bulk transition for the issues in the filter

- when needed to restore filter by separate states in the CF and do individual bulk transitions for each state

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2017

I guess that you already narrowed all the approaches. In case you do not know: you can do bulk transition or edit based on a filter/JQL https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver072/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-829092790.html

Suggest an answer