question on importing attachments from jira server instance to a jira cloud instance

Jay Keck June 17, 2019

I'm in the process of importing issues from a jira 7.1.7 server instance to a jira cloud instance and have a question about attachments.

I understand that I need to supply in the csv the url of where the image is, but:

1) Since my server is a mix of pre-7.0 and post 7.0 and the attachment directory structure changed in 7.0, how can I know where the attachments are for a given issue? 

2) My xml that's exported from jira server only contains the attachment filename, no path, anyway to get the path into the xml? without it I don't see how to know for sure where the attachment is located, even if i go through the work of calculating the bucket# of the 7.0 format since I can't know from the xml info what is a pre 7.0 or post 7.0 attachment.

Thanks,

Jay

1 answer

2 votes
Ramona Scripcaru
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2019

Hey Jay,

As a head-ups up, our recommendation is to upgrade to 7.13.1 or higher before migrating, migrating 7.1.7 may work, but this version is no longer guaranteed to work without requiring an upgrade, especially that you have mentioned that your server is a mix of pre-7.0 and post 7.0.

Regarding the attachments, these should be stored in your Jira application’s data directory, which is a sub-directory of the Jira application home directory

If JIRA was installed using the automated Windows or Linux installers, the default location of the JIRA home directory is: 

• C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA (on Windows) or
  • /var/atlassian/applicaion-data/jira (on Linux)

If you install JIRA from an archive file, the JIRA home directory can be any suitable location that is accessible by your JIRA installation. Typical example locations might be:

• C:\jira\home (on Windows) or
  • /var/jira-home (on Linux or Solaris)

I recommend having a look at our Jira application home directory documentation for the complete details.

Further, in order to successfully import these attachments into the cloud, you'll need to create a ZIP archive of the /data/attachments, /data/avatars/, and /logos/ directories. Make sure it uses the following structure:

attachments-1.zip
└─── data
├── attachments
│ ├── ProjectKey1
│ │ └── 10000
│ │ ├── IssueKey-1
│ │ ├── IssueKey-2
│ │ └── IssueKey-3
│ ├── ProjectKey2
│ └── ProjectKey3
└── avatars
└── logos

Reference documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/migrate-from-jira-server-to-jira-cloud-972349848.html

Let me know if this helps and if you have successfully located the attachments folder on your server.

Cheers!

Ramona

Suggest an answer