process-specific screens for moving issues

Bryan Collick November 22, 2016

I'd like to show a specific screen that contains a select set of fields to users only when moving specifically from one project to another.

The larger story:

I have a team (A) who uses a project to track their work. When they complete certain kinds of work, it's handed off to another team (B). This team is a non-technical team and resisted incorporating JIRA into their work process, so team A created a second project (Z) and used a transition to clone Project A issues of this specific type into Project Z. This allowed team A to close things on their board as well as (manually) track work they'd given to team B.

Team B liked the board that was created and has since started using JIRA to manage their work. Since they do other work than what team A gives them, they created Project B which has workflows more aligned with their tasks and various issuetypes. Now they want to move the contents of the view-only Project Z into Project B.

• a Project Z issue has a specific set of fields (not existing in Project A) that should be preserved. I've added those fields to the field configuration of Project B.
  • Project B has other fields that they'd like all their issuetypes to have, though they want to be the ones to fill in those fields. 

What I'd like to do is create a transition in the Project A workflow that, when triggered, creates an identical ticket in Project B (that's the easy part) but prompts the user with a screen of selected fields from Project B (those which were previously the fields of Project Z).  

I feel like I should be able to created an issuetype screen scheme which would contain a screen of select fields that could be attached to the either the create or edit screen, but the catch is I want a screen that only shows up during this move–the normal create and edit screens should remain in tact when creating or editing a Project B issue. This is the part where I'm getting stuck and would appreciate advice. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bryan Collick December 15, 2016

I was able to make use of Bhushan Nagaraj's youtube clip which explained placing screens between transitions, which I was able to use to accomplish my goal. 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kN3F5IbwUW0

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2016

To be clear, that is a transition screen.  It does not affect move.

Bryan Collick December 15, 2016

Correct. As my goal was to show a specific screen that contains a select set of fields to users only when moving specifically from one project to another, we created one last step in the workflow and then moved to the new project. 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2016

I'm afraid that's not what "move" is for.  All it does is the minimum to validate the data in the original issue will be valid in the configuration of the new project and issue type, and ask you to update any fields that need to change.  There's no hooks for new screens or processes, it's just a simple move.

All I can think of doing is writing an add-on to implement your own move process, and disabling the built in one (removing "move permission" from everyone in project A)

Bryan Collick November 23, 2016

Makes sense. I assume about the same should be expected when cloning an issue?

I guess I was assuming that:

• if fields can be organized in a screen scheme, and
  • screens utilize screen schemes, and
  • if screens could be assigned to ticket types

then a subset of fields could work as I'm thinking. I guess there's a bit of a leap there. smile

If this isn't possible, my only option then is to have all fields made available to the person moving the issue from Project A to Project B, correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2016

Cloning is easier - the project and issue type aren't changing, so there's no structural changes.  But that does mean there's no need for any screens or customisation either.  There are a few add-ons that try to cater for more advanced cloning rules - "clone and move, clone but drop these three fields, clone but reassign" etc.  (Those are examples of rules, not add-ons.  Although there is a clone and move add-on which can do a lot of sneaky stuff)

I think, without your own add-ons for move, yes you have outlined the only option.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events