permissions for scriptrunner

Veronica Vicente April 11, 2016

We are evaluating ScriptRunner for JIRA and I would like to know what level of permissions are required for users of ScriptRunner for JIRA?

JIRA Server v6.4.12

ScriptRunner for JIRA, Evaluation Verison

Veronica Vicente

vvicente@omnitracs.com

2 answers

0 votes
Veronica Vicente April 11, 2016

We provide limited users with JIRA Admin level access. I want to make sure that if a user without JIRA Admin wants to use this tool, I will not be required to provide them with JIRA Admin level access. Is this correct? Please confirm. Thank you.

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2016

Scriptrunner is not really a "tool". It doesn't add a clearly delimited page named ScriptRunner in which you do your scripting. Rather, it adds functionalities to existing pages, most of which would not be accessible by non-admins. If somebody wants to add a scripted post-function, they need to be able to add post-functions in the first place. ScriptRunner doesn't remove that restriction.

What exactly do you plan to be doing with that plugin? Which features do you want to use? Why are your non-admin users interested in it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2016

Admins set it up, your users will "use" it indirectly.  Scripted fields, post functions, behaviours etc - these are all provided by the script-runner, used by the users (without any privileges needed) and administrators set them up.

You do not want to let most users have admin on script-runner.  Only people who understand JIRA and how you use it well should be allowed to configure it.

The one edge case here is maybe if a user wants to run something they know an admin has written for them without asking for help from the admin.  At the moment, you'd need to ask the admins to run it for you, but I understand the team is working on a method to provide the users with "click this to run a script" functions.

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2016

There aren't any additional permissions to configure. To add scripted workflow post-functions for instance, you need to be able to edit workflows, so that's jira-admin.

Same for scripted JQL functions. Anyone can use them.

Suggest an answer