passed issue does not transition

Ultan Monahan May 26, 2016

Hi,

I have created a very simple two step workflow for a project, as you can see in the attachment.  I have associated it with a project, but when I Pass a issue in the project, the status does not automatically transition from To Do to Done.  I have to manually do this, which is not ideal.

How can this transition be done automatically?

UMworkflow.PNG

5 answers

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2016

In my opinion, JIRA workflows are tools for:

1. optimizing collaborative interactions among people working on phases of the same task
  2. help with reporting

Zephyr test 'executed statuses' are queryable through ZQL (some additional functions to JQL). This is the ZQL reference.

I've never used Zephyr, but I think that transitioning an issue on a test being passed is not a built-in functionality. However, I doubt that such an automation is really useful for any purposes, specially in a two-step workflow.

Consider if you need a JIRA workflow at all.

If you finally decide that you want to use a JIRA workflow anyway, and need to transition many issues of type 'test' to Done, I guess you can:

1. click on Issues > Search for issues and change to Advanced view
  2. type in the field:

executionStatus = PASS and status = "To Do"
  3. click enter
  4. click on Tools > all x issue(s)
  5. click on the top-most checkbox to select all issues and click on Next
  6. select 'Transition issues' radio button > Next
  7. select Done > Next
  8. confirm

Up to 1000 issues can be transitioned simultaneously through this bulk change procedure.

Alternatively, you can develop your own solution for automating the transition by using the JIRA REST API.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

What you mean by "pass an issue"?  And what automation have you set up to do this?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2016

Haha, seems like we are in the same page laugh

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

>What I mean is that a test (issue) went from Unexecuted to Passed,

That's not part of your workflow, so I'm still not sure what you are expecting to happen.  What exactly does a "pass" mean?  What happens to the issue?  What changes?

Once we know that, we might be able to help you automate the transition.  Or, maybe, change the workflow so that the "pass" is actually part of the process, rather than just triggering something.

I'm suing JIRA zephyr for Cloud to write up test cases.  When a test case is changed from Unexecuted to Passed, I'd like for it's workflow to change from To Do to Done.

Apologies for being out of my depth...

0 votes

Hi,

Firstly, thank you both for your swift replies.  What I mean is that a test (issue) went from Unexecuted to Passed, but there was no transition from To Do to Done.  I haven't set up any automation to do this.  All I've done was create the very simple two step Workflow, and I raised this question because it doesn't seem to be transitioning the Passed test.

I'm new to JIRA, so please forgive me if I'm making stupid Newbie mistakes.

Thanks,

UM

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2016

Do you mean you use a tool for Unit Testing and would like to integrate it with JIRA, so that when a test is passed, its linked JIRA task transitions to Done?

If that's the case, what tool do you use?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.  I'm using JIRA Zephyr for Cloud

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2016

Can you define how do you 'Pass' an issue in the project?

In other words, what action should trigger the automatic transition from To Do to Done?

Suggest an answer