outbound email containing ampersand

Deleted user March 4, 2016

We discovered that outbound emails containing an ampersand (&) sent via the 'Email this Issue' plugin cause a n error and do not send successfully.  We see this occurring in our JIRA versions 6.4.5 and older version 5.1.8.  Is there a fix for this?  Is there a way to notify the user/sender at the time they attempt to send the email that it has caused an error?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 4, 2016

Hi Quintin, noone has ever reported this yet.

Where is the ampersand relevant? In the email subject or body? I'll try to reproduce it and fix it quickly.

Tibor

0 votes
Deleted user March 4, 2016

It is when the email address contains an ampersand in it's name e.g. 'sample&sample@example.com' and is sent to from the Email this Issue plugin.  From the user's (sender) perspective JIRA acts like it's ok, however we see the error in the outbound queue and find that the mail never sent.  I tested other chars in the unrestricted set (!#$%'*+-/=?^_`{|}~) and only the ampersand causes an error.  It would be nice for email addresses containing the ampersand to be processed successfully.  If not possible, it would help to alert the user that the email contains the '&' and cannot be used for outbound emails from JIRA. etc... 

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 4, 2016

The fact that the mail item appears in the mail queue means that email this issue could build the email and place it on the queue for delivery.

I suppose your SMTP server were not able to deliver the email because of this.

I recommend you get to Outgoing Mail page in JIRA and send a test email to this address. It will throw an error in my opinion.

Tibor

Deleted user March 5, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tested sending an email from the Outbound Mail page and received a 554 error.  Looks like it could be a restriction caused by the SMTP server in use.

TEST1

An error has occurred with sending the test email:

com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;

nested exception is:

com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 554 Security violation. Email Session ID: {56D9D71A-10001-2DBA559E-C0000000}

...details from middle section omitted from this copy...

Caused by: javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;

nested exception is:

com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 554 Security violation. Email Session ID: {56D9D71A-10001-2DBA559E-C0000000}

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:1873)

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:1120)

at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:166)

... 149 more

Caused by: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 554 Security violation. Email Session ID: {56D9D71A-10001-2DBA559E-C0000000}

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:1771)

... 151 more

TEST2

I also performed the same test from a different JIRA instance in a different host center using a different SMTP server and it did not render an error and appears to have sent the test email successfully.

"Your test message has been sent successfully to (address containing ampersand)

I will now pursue with the Admin of the SMTP server.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events