jira software and jira core projects split

Javier Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2016

We're planning to move to JIRA 7. In our current JIRA instance we have projects for both JIRA core and JIRA software. When we migrate to JIRA 7, how will I be able to split the projects between the two tools?. If I migrate to JIRA software, what will happen with my projects that fits in JIRA core?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

JIRA Software is an application that lives within Core, and a Software user gets access to Core automatically.

So, your Core projects will remain Core, and the Agile projects will be Software projects!

Javier Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2016

Thanks Nic.

If I go to the vendor's site I can see that there are two different products: JIRA software and JIRA core. That makes me think that if I want JIRA for development, I would have to install JIRA software. Following suite, if I want a business project I'd install JIRA core. However, if I understand you well JIRA Software is an application that lives within Core, if I upgrade my JIRA instance to JIRA 7 (software) I'll have one single product that will be valid for both software development and business, this is, I don't have to have two different independent JIRA instances. Is this right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

Actually, there's three products when it comes to JIRA.

JIRA Core is the main one.  JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk are applications that can be added to Core (they can't be run outside Core).  Atlassian offer three installers - Core, Software and Service Desk, but the Software and Service Desk installers can be thought of as Core with the Application pre-bundled with it.

If you went for Core alone, you could only do business projects, but as you have to have Core in order for Software to run, for your development stuff, you have business too.

So, yes, if you go to JIRA Software, you'll have a single system with both software dev and business type projects available.

Javier Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2016

Great.

So here comes my original question... upgrading my current JIRA with JIRA software, my guess is that all projects will be initially set to being development projects, and that there will be a configuration setting in a project that will let JIRA know that that particular project is business type and not development software type. Kind of what we had in JIRA before when we had to set a project to be Agile type. Is this so...?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2016

I think they'll be updated as Core projects rather than Software, but whatever it picks, you can change the project type from the admin's project list or from the project administration screens.

Javier Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2016

Thanks!

Suggest an answer