jira new link action from more pulldown

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2016

Hi all,

My customer has a request.  The request is for a new menu pull-down option that essentially does exactly what more -> link does but has a different name and has only one link option.  If I were a little more experienced at writing plug ins I am sure this would be fairly straight forward, but I am not.  

Here is the senario.  I have completely automated the hot-fix process, short of one little problem.  When more than one JIRA issue needs to be associated with the hot fix, one of them is cloned through the clone plus plugin, and all fields are automatically, correctly populated.  The other issues then need to be link to said hot fix issue, and my customer wants a unique menu item for that.

Any ideas?

My only thoughts were to either have a issue field that simply lists them, but then they are not two way linked. Or to have a text field that lists them and autolink them in a post function.  The problem with that is it does not account for typos etc

Thanks,

Robert

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2016

Found this, which will have to work unless anyone else knows of any commercial plugins that would create a customized link menu item. https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/other/tutorial-adding-menu-items-to-jira 

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

The solution I am going to imploy is to use the skeleton from the above which created a menu item for a web link.  And then have the web-link use the CLI to create the link.

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

What CLI?

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

What CLI lol?    Only the best plugin I have ever used.   smile_  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.swift.jira.cli/cloud/overview

I like the Bob Swift plugins and their support is fantastic!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

Oh yes Bob Swift's CLI. Yes we tend to sell it a lot. smile 

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

Sorry, I did intend to respond more quickly. Adding a 'web-item' would let you add a menu item to say, the operations-operations menu.

This isn't the whole picture, though. It might be worth looking at the Source Code for the linking feature inside of JIRA in case you can reuse the link dialog, but I can't seem to find the link dialog in 'JIRA.Forms' javascript library.

If you need to create your own UI, you should trigger your own javascript. Perhaps your 'submit' button could use AJAX to talk with JIRA and create the link.

Script Runner allows you to define web-technology (resources, web-items) as well as other logic without creating a plugin. That's the only commercial option I can think of that would help you.

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

I have and frequently use script runner.   Thanks!

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

Oh! Yeah, well, in that case you can define a web-item and a html and js web resource that is triggered when you click on it. The dialog that comes up should communicate with JIRA via AJAX over the REST API to update the appropriate issue.

If you tag you question with scriptrunner the Adaptavist guys are very quick to respond and others (like me) are usually willing to help too.

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

True, but I come from a past of writing web tools that are based bash scripts.  It is the world I have known for 30 years, and so if the cli can create a link then I would start with that.  I should really dive into the REST API and have tried, but then other priorities prohibited me from diving very far.  I use script runner all the time for scripted validators and post functions which uses a the API, but only in a basic manner...   Thanks!  

0 votes
Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2016

Yes or yes smile  I am looking to attack this any way I can.  

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2016

Are you looking to attack this with custom development or with plugins? This isn't possible out-of-the-box.

Suggest an answer