jira merge two statuses or resolutions into one

Christian Peper September 13, 2016

Our JIRA instance is pretty polluted with various statuses and resolutions that basically mean the same thing but are named differently. This makes for a non-standard workflow and different semantics between projects.

We'd like to clean this up as much as possible and try to consolidate to a common, de facto standard within the company. But can I somehow merge two statuses? Can I designate one to be the same as the other and have JIRA automagically conform both fields and realign the projects and workflows using the two?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2016

No.

Resolutions are easy - you can delete a resolution and JIRA will say "what should I change existing values to" and do the work for you.

Status are not so quick.  You will have to make a copy of each workflow using an unwanted status, remove the unwanted one(s) and then replace the old workflow with the new one in the project that uses it.  JIRA will again ask you what status to move issues to, so that's not too painful, but the workflow edits would be "fun"

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2016

If resolutions are set in workflows you have to update the workflows as well. And even if you remove the Done resolution, the Simplified workflows will sometimes recreate it for you.

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2016

You can do it but there is no automatic solution for this. You will have to ensure that all relavant issues uses the same workflow and perform bulk transitions to the final Status that you want.

Christian Peper September 13, 2016

thanks, good tip to use bulk changes. Hadn't thought of that yet

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events