jira.issue.editable property seems not to work

Anastasia Kozlova February 8, 2016

Hi folks,

I am putting a property to my workflow transition, but an issue still remains editable.

I tried those ones:

• jira.permission.edit=denied
  • jiia.issue.editable=false

When I'm exporting a workflow as an xml file, I can see the following:

<action id="61" name="My transition">
<meta name="jira.description"></meta>
<meta name="jira.permission.edit">denied</meta>
<meta name="jira.fieldscreen.id"></meta>

or

<action id="61" name="My transition">
<meta name="jira.description"></meta>
<meta name="jira.fieldscreen.id"></meta>
<meta name="jiia.issue.editable">false</meta>

Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2016

I believe that property only applies to statuses, not transitions.  While an issue is in a status flagged as not being editable, the issue will not be editable.

That's not the point.

In the next status the issue still remains editable, as I mentioned above.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2016

Because you set it on the transition.  You have to set it on the status explicitly.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2016

Also be careful on your spelling I can see in your excerpts that you have JIRA spelt as jiia.

• jiia.issue.editable=false

when it should be 

• jira.issue.editable=false

Like Aakash T likes this

Phill, you're right.

But after correcting the typo the issue is still uneditable(

I even tried to add a custom database table prefix, but it also didn't help.

editable I meant)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2016

As Jeremy already said, jira.issue.editable is a property of statuses, not transitions.

Add the property to the status instead of the transition and it should work. 

Like # people like this
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2016

Where should the issue be not editable? During the transition - then remove the screen used in that transition, or in a status - then add that property to the status as Jeremy mentioned.

Gyus,

I got it. Now I feel stupid)

Thank you so much for help! Those buttons look alike)

Like Paolo Cruz likes this
Jamesson January 31, 2019

What if you want the screen to be there AND the issue (or a specific field) to be uneditable?

2 votes
S August 28, 2019

This worked for me. You can also try the following:

On the workflow, go to the status you want to apply the property to, select properties >

Property: jira.permission.edit.denied

value: denied

david_klemme March 19, 2020

Thanks! ;)

Romina Toledo June 10, 2020

thanks!

Gil Vinokoor January 5, 2021

Hi @S @david_klemme @Romina Toledo @Anastasia Kozlo

I tried implementing the suggested solution of S, but was still able to add/link an open child issue under a closed (Done) parent issue. Also, I was able to edit/reopen the closed issue.

Maybe one of you can explain what the user experience is supposed to be by adding that Property Name and Property Value to the Done Status?

Or, another way to prevent adding/linking open child issues to a closed parent issue?

Robert Taron January 14, 2021

@Gil Vinokoor ,

"Link Issues" and "Transition Issues" are different Permissions than "Edit Issues", so to defeat those Permissions, you'd have to add Properties for each of them in addition to the editable Property.

"Edit Issues" Permission, which is addressed by the Property in question, prevents modification of value fields (e.g. - Summary, Description, Custom Fields, etc.), but it does not prevent actions granted by other Permissions (e.g. - transitioning, linking, commenting, time tracking, etc.)

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2016

Hello there,

nearly the same Problem here..

i put the property to one Step of a certain Workflow.

Issues in this Step are still editable.

Any ideas why?

image2016-2-18 10:24:45.png

Regards,

Alex

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2016

Is it on a step or a transition? Is the workflow published?

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2016

Workflow wasn't published .. now it works.. thank you very much!

Feeling like a bloody beginner again laugh

Suggest an answer