java.io.FileNotFoundException - Upgrade Jira Core 7.2.6

Ipsen Logistics December 8, 2016

Hello,

after upgrading JIRA Core to Version 7.2.6 we get multiple file not found errors on several jar files in the atlassian-jira.log file:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib\commons-cli.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib\jts1_0.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib\carol.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib\jonas_timer.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib\idb.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib\classes12.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib\p6psy.jar

Those files do not exist in the requested path. They even have not been there in the previous version from which we did the update (V.7.2.4).

Does anyone has an idea, why these files are missing or at least why they are reported missing? It seems as if the application is working properly, we cannot see any error.

Thanks for any help.

Rgds.
Stefan 

8 answers

1 vote
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2017

The root cause of the issue is that we switch to Tomcat 8 since JIRA 7 and the JAR manifest scan is turn on by default. Since we customised Tomcat to fit JIRA application, we disable this feature on Tomcat by adding the following line in the file server.xml before the end of Context tag:

<JarScanner scanManifest="false"/>

so that it will not showing any warning message during the startup

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2017

I don't think the original poster had been hacking an unsupported Tomcat config.

Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2017

This usually happens when upgrading JIRA, as the administrator copy the configuration files (such as setenv.sh, server.xml etc) from the old version to the new version.  Especially upgrade from JIRA 6.4 to 7.x.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2017

That's not the right way to upgrade them, it's not a surprise you have problems when you do it that way, on an unsupported configuration.

Stefan Glase August 11, 2017

I am seeing this exception too when developing plugins during startup with atlas-run even after atlas-clean. This is annoying since it might hide real problems during development in a spam of exceptions.

Shane Freed August 16, 2017

Has anyone come up with a solution for this... it is really becoming a nuisance. The proposed solution is not viable. It would mean we would have to do a modification to the server.xml EVERY time we do a clean. Is there a way to set it permanently in the POM or something?

Shane Freed August 16, 2017

Has anyone come up with a solution for this... it is really becoming a nuisance. The proposed solution is not viable. It would mean we would have to do a modification to the server.xml EVERY time we do a clean. Is there a way to set it permanently in the POM or something?

1 vote
Ipsen Logistics December 11, 2016

We used the same user for the upgrade, which is used for starting the application-service (it's a windows installation). The user has administrative privileges on the system and so write-access to all the necessary directories, program- and home-directories. So I cannot image, what could be wrong in the way, we did the upgrade.

0 votes
Shane Parkinson January 12, 2017

I just upgraded to 7.3 from 7.2.3 which had JIRA Core as part of the server along with JIRA Software.The upgraded 7.3 lists Jira Core, but it now requires a license. The upgrade was performed using the instructions here https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/upgrading-jira-applications-using-a-rapid-upgrade-method-802592264.html, using "sudo ./atlassian-jira-X.Y.bin".

I've raised a support case as the files being reported by FilenotFoundException are not physically located in the directory and they also were not in Lib directory of the previous install of 7.2.3, by looking in the jira-7.2.3-backup.zip file.

0 votes
Advisor Software January 5, 2017

I upgraded to  7.3 in QA today but still see the same missing files errors, but am unable to determine if something is actually not working.   Since there are several plugins not yet compatible, I'm going to wait before creating a support ticket.

0 votes
Ipsen Logistics January 4, 2017

If anyone is still experiencing this kind of problem: Our error messages of missing jar-files have disappeared after doing the migration to Jira-Core 7.3.0.

Maybe a hint to anyone, who has the same problems.

0 votes
Igor Denisov December 11, 2016

I've installed JIRA from tar.gz archive and I have the same error too. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2016

This is a symptom of the installation being done incorrectly (I think there are other ways to do it, but this is the one I've seen).  You need to ensure the right users are used to do the installation over the upgraded system and that they have all the full permissions to all the installation and data directories.

0 votes
Advisor Software December 8, 2016

I'm seeing the exact same behavior with this upgrade, these file not found errors seem to only occur at startup, they don't exist in prior installations, but also cannot determine if there absence is causing some other problem.  It's a bummer that it seems the public has to QA these releases more and more since Atlassian is not.

Suggest an answer