issue staus

Alena Heizerava November 17, 2015

Hi,

I've customised columns / statuses selection in Jira and now trying to populate each story with it's own status. Somehow it was not a problem for the first story on the Backlog, however when it came to the second one, it seems to be impossible:

image2015-11-18 9:51:13.png

I'm relatively new to Jira. Would you please suggest what is the way to assign status to an issue / task?

Thank you,

Alena

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2015

Status is not really a "field", it's a display of where the issue is in the workflow.

To change the status, you move the issue through the workflow using the transitions. 

I suspect you've used other issue trackers in the past that don't really have any workflow, they just let you set a status as though it's a field - JIRA does not do that, it's more powerful, as the workflow lets you do all sorts of clever things with the transitions.

Your best bet as a user is to look at the issue you want to change status on.  Near the status and resolution fields, there should be a link for "view workflow" which pops up a diagram showing the flow.  You can use that to work out how to get to the status you want.  Once you've done that, look to the actions/operations bar at the top for the transitions to change the status.

Suggest an answer