issue_created not always being captured with jira webhook?

brian cronrath April 6, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Developer Documentation: Webhooks

Greetings,

We have implemented an integration between ServiceNow and our JIRA instance, and part of the integration involves listening to JIRA via the webhook to see when issues are updated or created.

I have noticed that for some odd reason, sometimes the issue_created just simply never gets caught when an issue is created.  It is intermittent in nature, and I personally have not been able to replicate, but I have had enough people come to me with examples I can see where it clearly just never got fired according to logs that it seems to be a growing issue.

What can I do to investigate this issue further?  The code is pretty simple, I'm really just looking for when issue_created is fired and creating a log entry when that occurs, before executing any other portion of the code.  I simply just don't see a log entry at all for a create attempt for the cases where they aren't getting caught.  Is there anything else I can check for?  Any known conditions that would cause a issue_created event not to fire when a JIRA issue is submitted manually?

Best regards,

Brian

2 answers

2 votes
filiprogaczewski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

Hey @brian cronrath, 

The known case when webhooks are not delivered is when the listener is down. If the listener is up, please try to set logging to debug level for the package com.atlassian.webhooks.plugin. You can do this easily in JIRA server by going to log configuration or you can ask our support to do so on your cloud instance and help you with analysing what's happening there. 

Cheers,

Filip

brian cronrath April 7, 2016

Thank you Filip! 

Just for my own clarification - when a listener goes down is it usually quite temporary in nature?  The problem I'm having when sorting this out is that other issues submitted within seconds of the ones that aren't caught do get caught, so it seems like the listener should be up during that time, unless what you are saying is that it can go down for a few seconds at a time then come back up intermittently?

Best regards,

Brian

Charlie Jonas May 23, 2017

We are also experiencing webhooks that do not fire on creation of specific issue types (we are using cloud).  It's very reproducable. 

0 votes
brian cronrath April 7, 2016

Thank you Filip! 

Just for my own clarification - when a listener goes down is it usually quite temporary in nature?  The problem I'm having when sorting this out is that other issues submitted within seconds of the ones that aren't caught do get caught, so it seems like the listener should be up during that time, unless what you are saying is that it can go down for a few seconds at a time then come back up intermittently?

Best regards,

Brian

Ralph Whitbeck
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2016

Brian, Filip might not see this as another answer.  Try adding this as a comment so that he gets notified. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events