how to make summary not mandatory

Jennifer Barry November 16, 2015

6 answers

1 vote
Daniel Brvnišťan November 18, 2020

Atlassian recommends to use this workaround to set a default value:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-set-default-value-for-summary-field-in-jira-800692650.html 

It can then be changed various ways using scripts in workflow transitions, project automation, or by the team that processes the tickets etc.

I have made a feature request for the default to be configurable in project settings, without having to code:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75592

I would appreciate if you could vote for it if that would be a solution for you.

Thanks,
Daniel

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2015

You can't.  End of story.

The closest I can get if I'm allowed to code is to have a Summary that you fill with something by default on the create screen, and overwrite it with your own string in a post-function if you want (strongly recommended, as it's going to appear in lots of places no matter what you try to do to hide it)

Use the behaviours functions in the Script Runner add-on for default/hidden summary, and a scripted post-function to update it later.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2015

Let me put my efforts as well, NO you cannot.

0 votes
Anuj November 16, 2015

As Joe, Jobin said it's not possible to make Summary optional because it's absolute mandatory field.

But if you just want to get rid of that then you can simply write a post function and overcome with the problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2015

No, that doesn't work, if you mean "you can blank it out". You still have to set it to something if you use a post-function, because: - It will still appear in lots of places - You'll have to fill it in if you want to edit or transition an issue - Lots of places (especially add-ons) break in interesting ways if it's empty

Anuj November 16, 2015

yup, of course there is a need to add those line of code in that post function. I don't mean that it will be blank.:)

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2015

It is not possible. Project, Issuetype and Summary are 3 fields that is mandatory for all issues.

The best you can do is to rename Summary to something else using an add-on. Note that such a change will be impacted in all projects unless you write your own add-on that does this.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2015

I don't believe you can. It is one of a very few fields the system requires.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events