how to import the backup of jira core 7.0 to jira 6.4

YH September 25, 2016

we want to degrade the JIRA from V7.0 to V6.4,

but cann't succeed,  the feed back is blow:

Error importing data: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: [GenericEntity.set] "parameters" is not a field of

what can I do for importing successfully?

any addon can realize this?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2016

There is no "downgrade" route. 

There are ways you can bodge a number of minor releases to downgrade (like JIRA 6.4.3 to 6.4.1), but there's no chance of 7.x to 6.x

Your choices are to revert to the last backup you took from your 6.4 system (and lose all the data entered since) or run with your 7.x system.

This all begs the question - "Why are you trying to do a (pointless) downgrade?"

JM R_ December 30, 2016

What he probably means is using the autoexport of the JIRA 7 installer to go back to JIRA 6.4. However JIRA 6.4 won't read the exported data! Fail!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2016

Yes, the docs do all say you can't downgrade it.

JM R_ December 30, 2016

If the auto-export created by a new JIRA version before the actual upgrade takes place cannot be used to revert back, then what is it good for? Why is that considered a downgrade if the upgrade hasn't even happened yet?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2016

No, you've not understood the question or the answer.

They have taken an export from 7 and tried to import it into a 6.4 system.  They haven't tried to revert an upgrade, they've tried to downgrade a system.  Which can't be done.

JM R_ December 30, 2016

Ok, got it. However: One of our guys recently pointed a JIRA 7 installer to a JIRA 6.4 database by mistake. Needless to say it was then FUed. Trying to use the auto-export created by his JIRA 7 installer resulted in the same error message.... That's why I was making the comment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2016

Hard to say why that went wrong without seeing the error messages (and assuming you rebuilt the 6.4 from a clean install before trying to restore the export - downgrades don't work, you need to start clean)

It's worked fine for me on the couple of times I've wanted to test it.  But I tend to disable the export when upgrading to speed it up, I work with large datasets a lot and prefer to rely on a hard database copy for speed and reliability.

JM R_ December 31, 2016

In fact the autoexport of the 7.0 installer contained "<ClusteredJob>" tags in entities.xml. This does not seem to exist in 6.4. After removing those, the import in 6.4 worked ok. (We also used activeobjects.xml from a previous backup of 6.4)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events