how to hide comment box when editing an issue?

tom September 5, 2016

Not sure why this field, or other system fields (besides summary) are put on a screen when they are not apart of the screen scheme. - Might need to sort that Atlassian!

However i require a way to stop the comment box appearing when i change issues, im happy for my users to add a comment at the bottom by pressing the button, but i dont want it in the edit screen. how can i remove this?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2016

It's there because comments are not a field, they're a conversation.  They're offered to the user (if they have "comment" permission) because people often want to explain their changes, to stop those "why did you change component to something else" conversations.  It's convenient and helpful for most and has the benefit of being directly associated with an edit, so the timestamps match, rather than looking like an afterthought.

As Tõnis suggests, you can't turn it off on Cloud.  There are some ugly javascript tricks you could try to inject on server, or even hack the code for the screens to remove it.  But I wouldn't recommend either.

0 votes
TõnisO
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2016

It depends on whether you're using a Server or Cloud instance.

Suggest an answer