how to copy custom field values to Comment field without using Post Functions

J May 12, 2016

Hello there,

Can someone please guide on my question? 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2016

There's four ways to copy values into "comment" that I can think of:

• Post functions
  • Listeners
  • Console scripts
  • Copy and paste (either in the UI or over REST)

However, I'm not sure it's actually useful to copy values into comments.  Comments are for having a conversation about the issue, I can't think of a reason to spam it with bits of data that's already in the issue.  Could you explain the actual reason for wanting to do this?  There may be better approaches than duplicating fields into comments.

J May 12, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the quick response. We have project in that planning notes is a CF and every two weeks Assingee will update his work. After the PL Lead will take report based on that. Now PL wants to transfer that after his report to Comments.

Instead of keeping update in Comments he wants to keep in Planning Notes first then he wants to move that.

HOpe I have given enough background. 

Now He don't want that on Workflow transition. With this Post function went off. Rest three are the solutions.

Now, can you please guide accordingly?

Thanks,

Jana

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2016

I think your user needs to decide whether the field is of any use - they should be doing the planning notes in the field or the comments.  Not both.

Still, if you must do it, the best option is a listener that can pick up any changes to the issue, decide when to duplicate the data and spam the comment with it.

Suggest an answer