global custom field that can only be edited in one project

Dave Hollinden August 2, 2016

We have a custom multi-select field in "Project A." Users in Project A assign values to this field which are used for reporting only within Project A, and then move the issues to other projects.

What's the best way to make sure that the values in this field remain available for reporting within Project A's filters as the issues travel through other projects, but cannot be altered by anyone other than members of Project A? 

Thanks,

Dave

EDIT/ADDITION: The context of the field is "Global (all issues)", so our filters can still return results based on this field after Issues are moved out of the project. So the question is about the best approach to ensuring that no one outside of Project A can alter the field. I understand that Permissions won't help since they are project-specific. The same is true for a solution based on workflows. I'm wondering if Hiding the field everywhere except Project A would be our best bet.

2 answers

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2016

Issues and Permissions are per project, thus it's not possible to move the issues to another project and still retains the JQL filter results for Project A. My suggestion would be to clone the issues before moving them in order to retain the filter results.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2016

Once you move the issue it won't show up in a search of the project so none of the fields will be available either. Put them on just the view screen in the other projects and no one will be able to edit them

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events