gadget.common.error.500

Milos Moravac April 7, 2020

Hi all,

I installed jira on my server and enabled HTTPS but this is the issue that I'm getting.

My setup is following:

- I have 2 different virtual machines, one is for nginx reverse proxy and other is for Jira only

- Domain is set on nginx VM with lets encrypt and proxy_pass to Jira VM with following:

server {
server_name jira.domain.com;
location / {
proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_redirect off;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $host;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Server $host;
proxy_pass http://172.16.44.109:8080;
client_max_body_size 10M;
}
listen 443 ssl; # managed by Certbot
ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/jira.domain.com/fullchain.pem; # managed by Certbot
ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/jira.domain.com/privkey.pem; # managed by Certbot
include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-nginx.conf; # managed by Certbot
ssl_dhparam /etc/letsencrypt/ssl-dhparams.pem; # managed by Certbot
}
server {
if ($host = jira.domain.com) {
return 301 https://$host$request_uri;
} # managed by Certbot
server_name jira.domain.com;
listen 80;
return 404; # managed by Certbot
}

Jira server.xml is set with following:

<Connector port="8080" relaxedPathChars="[]|" relaxedQueryChars="[]|{}^&#x5c;&#x60;&quot;&lt;&gt;"
maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" connectionTimeout="20000" enableLookups="false"
maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" protocol="HTTP/1.1" useBodyEncodingForURI="true" redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100" disableUploadTimeout="true" bindOnInit="false" secure="true" scheme="https"
proxyName="jira.domain.com" proxyPort="443"/>

When I tried CURL jira.domain.com from Jira VM i got Connection refused

Does anybody have any idea or this is not gonna work?

EDIT: Just tried fresh install and i'm having same error.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2020

Hello @Milos Moravac

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you please let us know where and what steps you took to reproduce the "gadget.common.error.500" error?

Checking other users facing the same problem, it seems it usually happens in the activity stream gadget of Jira dashboards. I this is the error you are facing, I believe that an invalid or absence of a certificate can lead to such errors.

Please, check  the steps provided in the thread below to properly fix the error:

Dashboard error gadget.common.error.500 

if none of the steps provided in the thread worked for you, please let us know the results you got from it and the errors returned in the javascript console of your Jira application.

Milos Moravac April 9, 2020

Hi Petter,

Thanks for reply. I tried everything from every article on community. 

When I try to get my certificate with openssl s_client command in order to add it to Java trusted certs I'm getting following error:

139657218523584:error:0200206F:system library:connect:Connection refused:../crypto/bio/b_sock2.c:110:

139657218523584:error:2008A067:BIO routines:BIO_connect:connect error:../crypto/bio/b_sock2.c:111:

connect:errno=111

Which means that port 443 is not listening on VM where Jira is installed. 

My nginx VM is listening on that port and it's passing connection to Jira VM on port 8080

Suggest an answer