error: JIRA could not attach the file as there was a missing token. Please try attaching the file again. on Google Chrome

Luan Luong Manh September 26, 2016

error: JIRA could not attach the file as there was a missing token. Please try attaching the file again. It happens on Google Chrome today.

21 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2016

This happens when there's a network error, or timeout.  The easiest way to replicate it is to leave the computer for a while and then try the action - your tokens expire. Sometimes, it can happen when you're trying to upload too large a file as well.

Have you tried it again yet?  If you did, what happened?

Jim Ryan February 2, 2018

"leave the computer for awhile and then try"

OMG, so let's define "awhile".  A minute?  An Hour"? A day?.  Do I leave the computer and go sit in another room or do I have to leave the building?  Or can I just throw a blanket over it so it thinks I left.    Maybe I could leave it at Atlassian headquarter and they could fix it.

Priceless.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2018

No, that is clearly not what I said.

Please try reading the answer properly and thinking about it in the context of the question that was asked, instead of being silly.

Like # people like this
jhaughton February 13, 2018

Hi Nic, I was wondering what you'd advise if a user has experienced the same issue in multiple browsers, using various different files and a number of different tickets? Cache has been cleared, the user has logged in and out of JIRA...nothing basic seems to work.

And she didn't leave her machine for a while either...literally fired up a new browser, logged into JIRA, tried to attach a file...and got the same error.

Like # people like this
Frank Lienhard June 19, 2018

Hey Jim. YMMD

Like # people like this
rahul August 6, 2018

Hi Nic , 

you are right that is a timeout err , just refresh the page and perform the operation .

it worked.

Like # people like this
Nikolai Y. August 22, 2018

thanks!

pubuduh November 26, 2018

Thanks Nic. That helps

Naveen Prakash March 21, 2019

After refreshing the page couple of times it works for me.

Like # people like this
Venkatesh Kumar February 18, 2021

I too had the same issue, while uploading some very small files (< 50kb). Tried multiple times and did not get uploaded initially.

Then, I simply refreshed the page and attached it again. Worked.

5 votes
Noel Peden July 19, 2017

I had two tabs open to JIRA. All I had to do was refresh the given tab and there was no more token error. 

2 votes
Gilfilen Kenny September 5, 2019

I read the first answers above, and refreshed the tab after writing a long defect report—and lost the whole thing. 

I despise stupid problems like this, and they seem to be all over atlassian software. 

Sorry, just venting. 

2 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2017

Could it be that people have Confluence open in another tab and and it's overwriting the JIRA cookie?

Logging into another Atlassian application logs me out of Confluence

Woosung_Kim September 19, 2017

I doubt the case, because I never run Confluence. None of them listed here work. Any resolution from Atlassian?

Harsh Vardhan Singh October 2, 2017

logout from jira and login again. That's Solution

VipSaran October 2, 2017

No, that is not a solution, that is a workaround.

Like Jonathan_Oberländer likes this
Frank Lienhard June 19, 2018

..only if it would work! In this case it's an "it also doesn't work around"

1 vote
Deleted user March 12, 2019

Any new information on this? I just encountered it while testing JIRA 7.13. In my case, this was while trying to attach a file in the "Create Issue" screen. There's no way that I know of to "refresh" that dialog - so I completed the Create process and attached it later - but my users aren't going to like having a field for attaching documents for submission and seeing that error. It's just a wee bit off-putting.

Austin March 26, 2020

+1
We've just started getting reports of this issue happening in Chrome on version 7.13.8. No Jira updates or changes to the network stack recently.

A tab refresh seems to allow the user to complete the current operation, but they're reporting that they're seeing the issue multiple times a day and having to refresh each time to get around it.

Interestingly, users are reporting that the issue seems to go away when they use Firefox.

Dwight Carns July 30, 2020

Almost 4 years since the first response in this thread and it still hasn't been fixed. I am currently using Chrome Version 83.0.4103.116 and can't upload a file that is 758KB without the token error. Tried the wait, logout/login/refresh..... What will it take for this to be rectified. 

0 votes
Christian Sprenger January 28, 2021

Happens again and again.

For several independent users, on several independent circumstances.

Tried with Screenshot Copy-Paste, tried with "Add attachment"

Many users write a long detail, then the token expires in between and they can not do attachments anymore. If they'd refresh: all is lost and they have to start from scratch.

I do not want to write them an instruction document how to create a ticket, like "open a word file, add all information into the word file, then create a ticket and simply attach the word file.

Long Story short:

Yes, the Token may expire eventually. But: is there a way to lengthen the time of expiration? Is it Chrome (Browser) or JIRA (Atlassian) to "fix" that? Any suggestion of a workaround (despite to "refresh the browser from time to time")?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2021

Why does it take two hours to write an issue?

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Christian Sprenger,

The Jira team are looking into a solution where the token is refreshed on copying and pasting.

For now the workaround would either be to download the images you need off the original ticket and then insert them via file upload. Or refresh the source ticket before copying and pasting images over.

All the best

Owen 

0 votes
Chetan Patil January 22, 2021

I also faced the same issue, I just refreshed the page on which I am trying to upload a file(excel) and re-uploaded the file and it worked for me.

0 votes
Michael Moore November 16, 2020

This can also occur if you are trying to drop an attachment on an issue that has an open comment.  Simply select Add to close the comment and the attachment should work.

0 votes
Deleted user June 27, 2018

Suffering this constantly, very disgusting. Any open bug about it? I cannot think about restaring sessions all the time

Eric_Mertens September 26, 2018

Refresh the browser page and retry attaching the attachement.

That works!

0 votes
anthonyroundtree June 8, 2018

For me, I changed the file format. I was trying to update a png, but when I updated a jpg of the same file it worked fine. 

0 votes
thi May 30, 2018

Refresh the tab works !

0 votes
Harsh Vardhan Singh October 2, 2017

Logout from jira and login again.

0 votes
Hunter Everett July 31, 2017

Refresh worked for me here as well.

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2017

Well, I might as well add my voice that I can't attach a file in Chrome while using Jira 7.2.8 (no Confluence, no one overwriting my cookies, just plain broken)

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2017

BTW, works fine in Firefox.

0 votes
Nidhi_Doshi May 16, 2017

I'm encountering the same problem today on Chrome when I try to attach an image or excel file to a bug in jira. I am not running Confluence.

0 votes
Barton May 10, 2017

This is happening to me in Chrome.  Did anyone ever find an answer?

0 votes
Liva Paudere February 15, 2017

For me too "Happening in Chrome even though "Block third-party cookies..." is disabled."

0 votes
Raj Adluru February 2, 2017

this is happening when login to JIRA from Confluence space shortcut link.

this is not due large file or session time out, this could be bug.

Christopher Gronde September 6, 2017

How is this an acceptable answer? "This could be a bug"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2017

Someone accepted a useless and wrong answer here, so people stopped paying attention.

Have a look at where Ann and I give useful answers.

0 votes
VipSaran January 11, 2017

Happening in Chrome even though "Block third-party cookies..." is disabled.

0 votes
Konrad Hernblad December 15, 2016

Just happened in Chrome as well...

0 votes
Konrad Hernblad December 15, 2016

This happened to me today on Firefox (50.1.0).  Earlier today, I cleared my entire Firefox history/cache/cookies/etc.  My network is fine and the file is only 392k.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events