delete project

Alla Ioselevich March 24, 2016

When I delete project in JIRA and then create a new project with the same key - everything is coming back, like I never deleted it - closed sprint and issues. Seems like in Data Base it was inactivated but not properly deleted. What is the solution? We are using JIRA Server 7.1.2

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2016

The sprint is not bound to a project, so when you delete a project the sprint will not disappear -for example - the sprint can contain issues from multiple projects, so it doesn't make sense to remove a sprint if a project is removed. So this is not a bug I think. 

If you see issues from the deleted project, then this would be a bug. 

Ok. In my case there was only one project in JIRA and when I deleted it I couldn't see the sprint, because you can't see an empty sprint without having at least one project - right?

But when I created project again same issues where connected to this sprint. I think when you delete the project a connection between a sprint and issues should be deleted?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2016

As Boris says, it doesn't matter about the project - the sprint is not a project object.

To be able to get to a sprint, you need to be able to see issues, and they can only exist in projects.

The thing about the sprint is that it needs to refer to the issues it included.  Even if they were deleted, it needs to know that to calculate the scope change you caused by deleting the issues.  So if you put them back, yes, you get the links to the sprint back.

It's not a bug, it's representing your changes of scope.

I'd try deleting the board that the sprint was created on next.

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2016

The sprint never gets deleted and this is the correct behaviour. Then when you import the issues the importer detects that the issues are linked to a sprint and connects them to the sprint during import, so I don't see any unexpected behaviour. 

Would you give details about what are you trying to achieve exactly and why this behaviour seems wrong in your case ?

We are in a process of migrating from Cloud to Server. We were having some problems with a backup file from the Cloud so I tried to export-import issues into Server with CSV file and create sprints manually. Then I abandoned this idea and deleted the project. After this I tried to use Import Project from backup file and it asked me first to create a project with the same key. After import I could see issues inside the sprint that was created manually before and it seemed wrong to me. But now when you explained it I understand why it happened.

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2016

Hi Alla,

This sounds like a bug. I couldn't reproduce it on 6.4 and 7.1.

How quickly after you deleted the project you tried to create the new one? Sometimes it takes a few minutes to delete all issues and other artifacts from the DB.

Steps that I did:

• created project ABC
  • imported issues from CSV file
  • created sprints
  • deleted project ABC
  • tried to import project ABC from backup file and was asked to created a project with the key ABC before importing

After creating project ABC I could see sprints that from deleted project

I deleted and created it several times with the same result.

Suggest an answer