custom fields not shown on create screen for 2 users - all other can see them

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2017

Here's a riddle that I don't have an answer for.

We created a new issue type with half a dozen custom fields.  Locked those custom fields down to that one project but all issue types in the project.

There's a default issue screen and a create issue screen.  The 6 custom fields appear on both.

As user Michel, when I try to create an issue, only Project, Issue Type, Summary and Description appear in the create screen.  Assignee and all the custom fields are missing.  Same is true for user Ryan.  However, everyone else on the team sees all the fields.  (I have validated this by SU'ing to everyone on the team.)

In the edit screen, all custom fields are displayed.

I fixed this once by re-indexing about a week ago.  Since then we've added plenty of new custom fields and have re-indexed a few times.  Need to re-index again at the moment, but don't see why that would cause these fields to "disappear" for these two users.

Both users are in the same groups as everyone else.  Doesn't appear to be a permissions problem.

Any ideas?  Thanks!!!

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2017

There's a swathe of things this might be, but let's get the easy one first.

Get Michel and Ryan to go to create an issue and click "configure fields" at the top right of the popup - are the fields de-selected in there?

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2017

THAT'S IT!! 

How would he have managed to have all those field de-selected?  And they're all checked in the edit-configure fields pop-up.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2017

As you wander through projects with different field settings, you kind of accumulate them.

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2017

He is one of our more challenged customers.  :)  Thanks again!

Mo Daniels, Ph.D. February 11, 2019

I know how this happens.  When screen fields are different for two issue types, say EPICs and STORIES, and the user creates one kind (while clicking on checkbox "create another issue" at the bottom of the CREATE screen.  When done with the issue, user clicks on CREATE.  The CREATE screen comes back, and the user switches it to a different issue type, such as a STORY, the JIRA software hides the field that are not common between the two types.  I do wish there was a way to activate ALL the "primary" fields, and ensure these were locked and always show up on CREATE, regardless of how the user got to that screen.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer