custom field not available in field layout

Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2016

I created a new text custom field (single line) and I am trying to make this as mandatory under a specific field layout configuration but it is not available in the list of fields. Why is that? Under what conditions a field is not available?

secure/admin/ConfigureCustomField!default.jspa?customFieldId=xxxxxx

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2016

None - custom fields should all be listed on the field configurations.

The only thing I can think of (and I've not tested this, and it doesn't feel right) is indexing.  Do you have a searcher set for the field?  Also, after adding it, have you re-indexed?

Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2016

Hi Nic,

I have not re-index after adding the new custom field. What is strange is that at the same time I added 3 custom fields (1 text single line, 1 user picker and 1 checkboxes field). Without re-index the database the 2 fields are coming up to the field layout and I manage to set them as mandatory but the text field is not showing. All 3 fields have the default searchers.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

Ok, can you try a full re-index?

Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2016

A full reindex did not resolve the problem.

I resolve my issue by deleting this missing text field and then create a new one (type URL). This one is available under my layout configuration.

Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2016

Can someone help me to identify the source code which is responsible to load custom fields on a View Field Configuration?

The problem is still there for different other custom fields we have. In my current case is not an option to delete and add again the custom field as it is an old field and it is been used in several other projects.

I have noticed that those custom field with the problem do not appear in all the field configurations I have in the system. If it is worth mentioning our data were migrated from JIRA v 4.0.2 -> 4.4.5 -> 6.4.7 last year.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2016

There's something very wrong with your installation here.  A field configuration lists all fields you've got in the system, unless the field type is explicitly coded to be non-visible.

What, exactly, is the field type of the missing fields?

Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2016

Thanks Nic

I have seen the problem with different types. Select List (single choice) is my current problem but I have in the past similar case with a Text Field (single line) field.

Suggest an answer