cannot resolve an issue

Joan New June 1, 2016

I have 14 issues in our list which do not have a Start Progress link and 1 issue which does not have the Start Progress, Resolve Issue or Close links. I'm including a compiled screen shot. Other issues within the project are not missing these links.

missing resolve or progress.png

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2016

First, I notice that these two are different issue types, which means they might have different workflows.  That could complicate what I'm about to say, but hopefully it won't.

You need to log in as an admin to check this.  As a normal user, you can go to the project and have a look at the configuration of the project - look at the "workflow scheme" to find out what workflow the Bug issue type uses.  Next, as an admin, you'll need to go find that workflow and look at the transitions that go out of "open" - check what the "conditions" on each of the transitions says.  Finally, go back and have a look at your user - I expect you will find that your user account does not match the conditions (or possibly the data on the issue doesn't match) so JIRA is hiding all the transitions you can't use.

Joan New June 1, 2016

Thanks - but I have already checked all our projects and they all have the same workflow, transitions, permissions and notifications schemes – and all of them are the default schemes provided. Also, of the 14 issues which don't show the Start Progress link 2 are Bugs, 5 are Improvements, 5 are New Features and 2 are Technical Tasks.

I checked with two other users on our team (both developers) and they found the same links missing on the same issues - so it would not appear to be user related. What do you mean by a user account or possibly the data on the issue doesn't match the conditions? I can't find any help document using the word 'conditions' in relation to transitions. Could you point me to one??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2016

Transitions all have post-functions, and the option for conditions, validators, and (recently), triggers.

If you open up a workflow in edit mode and click on a transition, you'll be presented with tabs for those four options.

A condition hides a transition if its rules are not met.  That's always the first thing to check when someone says "I don't have transitions out of status X".

First hit on search engines and Atlassian docs for me is https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-conditions

Joan New June 1, 2016

Thanks for the link to the article - my bad - I did not scroll down enough after I searched. So I finally found my way to the conditions and it still doesn't make any sense. Here is a screen shot of the condition and post functions for start progress:

condition for start progress.png

So why is the Start Progress not available to any of us? Also, we have not changed any of these parameters since we started using JIRA and now all of a sudden we have these problems????

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

Ok, it's probably the condition then.  Go back to the issue you can't progress with - are you the assignee?  If not, that's the problem - try assinging it to yourself and I'd expect to see the transition appear.

Changes like these don't just get added - one of your admins has added it.

Joan New June 1, 2016

I have tried assigning the issue to me and still don't have the transition links. We are a small team of 4 and I am the admin. I have not changed anything about workflow, permissions, conditions, etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

Ok, that should have eliminated the condition.  If you're the assignee and it's not working, then it's something else.

The other culprit is a break in the database - there's workflow information stored in two places, and if it mismatches, JIRA gets confused and hides all transitions for an issue.

So, the next step is to try the "integrity checker" as that will find and fix issues in that state.

0 votes
Joan New June 2, 2016

That makes sense but it looks like I do not have access to the integrity checker.

no integrity checker.png

This must mean that I am not a JIRA System Administrator even though one of the pages I was on says: 

JIRA default groups

Two groups are automatically created when you install JIRA for the first time: the jira-administrators group and one user group associated with the application.

jira-administrators

All

Contains people who are JIRA system administrators. By default, this group:

• is a member of the Administrators project role.
  • has the JIRA Administrators and the JIRA System Administrators global permissions.

Other ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2016

If it's not conditions, then it's almost certainly the broken data - as you're not a system admin, you'll need to contact them to get it done (if you're on Cloud, it's Atlassian support, although I'd additionally ask them to explain why this has happened, and what needs fixing to prevent it)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events