can Jira and Confluence share a Microsoft SQL server?

Tony Battista February 3, 2016

hi all,

I am about to setup a JIRA VM and Confluence VM along with Microsoft SQL 2014 DB server/s.  Do I need to have a DB server for each or can I get away with sharing 1 DB server but have 2 DB's on it?  Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tony Battista February 4, 2016
1 vote
Ahmad Awadallah February 3, 2016

You can have 1 SQL Server and have 2 DB's on it... one for JIRA and one for Confluence.  That is how we have been running it and I would assume most are.  

One thing to note is I am not aware, as of today, of any current JIRA version that officially supports SQL Server 2014.  I think the latest it supports is SQL Server 2012. 

Cool thanks for the information.  Thankfully our SQL license allows us to use 2012 instead, so if JIRA doesn't in fact support 2014 then i will just use 2012.  Cant imagine much of a difference between the two that would effect JIRA or confluence performance.  Thanks again!

Ahmad Awadallah February 3, 2016

No problem.  Just an FYI Atlassian announced that first Q1 2016 they will support SQL Server 2014 for Jira.  I think they already support it for the latest Confluence.

Oh that's good to know!  It might be worth waiting a little longer then.

Thanks!!

Ahmad,

I am not a pro with SQL so I have to ask this question.  I am setting up JIRA, I already have Confluence working, but JIRA will not connect to the DB that i setup on the server.  I keep getting the following error in JIRA

Error connecting to database

Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect

Connection refused: connect

any ideas?

thanks!

nm found my answer! smile thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events