backlog order with new issues created

When you create a new issue and then try to see that issue in the backlog, it appears that the issue is inserted somewhere in the middle of the backlog order.

Is there a way to configure the default order of newly created issues?  Either at the beginning or at the end?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Tarun Sapra Community Champion Feb 22, 2017

I have a similar issue... when a sprint is closed with existing PBIs that are not DONE, the incomplete PBIs are randomly placed in the backlog with no apparent rhyme or reason... since these are current issues that will likely be pulled into the next sprint to complete they should be placed at the top of the backlog.

Are the above tickets likely to resolve this issue as well or do you think I should open a separate request?

Also, there has been no recent activity on those tickets... I feel like this is a common, highly visible problem that should be resolved sooner than later.. what can be done to raise visibility of these issues?

Trying to figure this out... found:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-7579

Says items are added back to backlog in order of 'rank'

This sounds good, but in practice it doesn't work well.

The items placed in an active sprint should be defacto the highest rank regardless of where they were pulled from. Moving an item from the backlog to an active sprint is (or should be) a 'ranking' action.

The backlog is groomed and re-ordered while the sprint is in progress and those items in the active sprint are excluded from this ranking (for obvious reasons), so when the unfinished items return to the backlog they are bumped lower into random spots and are hard to find.

It seems like they changed this from incomplete items being placed at the top of the backlog in previous versions for some reason..

I'm not really sure what to do about locating these stray issues.

We have the same problem here. To workaround the problem with completing sprints we create a new sprint before we complete the current sprint. Then there is a possibility to send the incomplete issues to the next empty sprint.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

196 views 3 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you