add comment by replying to notification email in jira

Chris Flynn December 10, 2015

In the below link it mentions I should create an email account per project. However all outgoing email is sent as one email address. So if a user gets notified of a change on an issue they are watching how can they simply hit reply and have that email added as a comment to that issue? Does the user have to know to change the TO email address? That does not seem very user friendly at all.

I also do not get the advantage of having a different email address per project. Doesn't the email subject have to contain the issue KEY. If so then what does it matter what project it is sent to?

Thank you very much for your help.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-720412438.html

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2015

Hi Chris,

On the admin screens for individual projects you can change the email address that notifications for that project are sent from. You change the address there for the relevant project(s) and the user doesn't have to change the TO address. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-email-notifications-185729575.html for "Configuring a Project's Email address".

Having different addresses per project is mainly if you also want to create issues from emails, not just comment on them. For creating issues, the project they're created in is tied directly to the email address when you create the handler, so you have to have one address per project so the issues get created in the correct projects. For commenting on issues it works by having the key in the subject line so you can get away with one address for all projects if you're just adding emails via comments.

Hope that helps?

Andrew.

Chris Flynn December 10, 2015

This is great, thank you very much! That sounds obvious now that you tell me, but that would have taken me a long time to figure out so I really appreciate your quick response.

Suggest an answer