Workflow property to allow reporter to assign in Create transition only

Brent Webster October 14, 2015

For the project's permission scheme, I can allow the Reporter to assign issues to the assignable list but I want to limit it to the Create transition only.  Using workflow properties on the Create transition, I tried a variety of scenarios for

jira.permission.assign.user.1 to REPORTER  or CURRENT_USER

but it didn't work.  Suggestions?

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2015

You cannot grant new permissions using workflow properties. You can only restrict from what is already granted.

In your case, you will have to grant Reporter the permission in project permissions and then deny the permission in all workflow steps other than Create. Having said that, it is a step property and not transition property. Never tried it on Create transition.

Brent Webster October 15, 2015

Workflow properties are poorly documented. I've reviewed http://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/permissions-based-on-workflow-status but these properties must be experimented with on a trial and error basis. I added Reporter back to the project level permission scheme for "Assign Issue", verified the Reporter could once again assign to anyone, not just himself. Then I tried the following property on a transition of interest: jira.permission.assign.denied=reporter and then tried jira.permission.assign.denied=REPORTER Neither worked. Jobin, your assistance is appreciated. BTW, I'm on Jira 6.4.11 and ScriptRunner 3.0.11

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2015

I am afraid what you are trying will not work. You can only specify who "can" do the transition. You can not specify who "can not" do it. For example, on a transition, you can say that only Developers or people in a group can perform an operation (provided they already had the permission via project permissions). There is no way to say Reporter or people in a group cannot do it. Denied is used when the permission is denied as a whole. Again, I am not sure of all permutations/combinations. This is based on my experience. There might be a few tricks I have missed!

Brent Webster October 16, 2015

I'm confused. Your 1st reply had me granting the Reporter "Assign Issue" permission at the project permissions scheme level and then deny him. Your 2nd response had me adding the reporter. I appreciate the help but which is it?

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2015

Sorry if I got you confused. There are 2 things. 1. You cannot grant new permissions. The permissions has to be there via project permissions 2. In the available permissions, you cannot deny anyone. But you can restrict it to selected groups/roles etc. In short, you can grant permissions to a subset of already available permissions. (And that, in a way, denies the permission to the remaining). In your case, you cannot deny reporter alone because there is no group/role that restricts the permission to everyone but reporter. On the other hand, if you wanted to restrict the permission just to the repoter, you could have done that.

Brent Webster October 19, 2015

I'm peeling this properties onion and it's making me cry. I'm looking at jtricks workflow properties page and documented lines like - type - type of permission granted/denied. The values can be group, user, assignee, reporter, lead, userCF, projectrole or - jira.permission.comment.denied= I'll get over it. So at the project level permissions scheme, I'll add reporter to the "Assign Issues" permission. That I understand. What would be the actual property syntax on the Create transition(action) to activate only the "reporter" permission from the project level scheme?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events