Workflow for entity in plugin

Parag Bhole November 15, 2015

Workflows in JIRA are applied to "issue" i.e. each issue goes through some workflow in its life cycle. If we want to add workflow capability for an "entity" in our plugin then can we use same underlying framework to configure and store the workflow related data in JIRA? OR do we need to implement it within our plugin?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2015

The workflow engine in JIRA is closely tied to issues.  Your "entity" will almost have to be an issue to be able to use the workflow stuff in JIRA, so you might as well just define a new issue type for it.

Parag Bhole November 15, 2015

Thank you Nic for the reply. If we define issue type for it, then it can be added in a project as a issue, but we are not linking it to project. In our plugin UpRaise, we have performance review form or objectives for which we want to introduce workflow, which is not linked to project but with review cycle and user. Another question - can we use osworkflow in plugin with data stored in plugin related tables. i.e. plugin has its own workflow engine? or will it create any issue with JIRA workflow engine? I need to try it out but if you or someone else has already knows about probable issues, it will save some time. (I accepted answer thinking it will get me some points to add a comment here, but it didn't helped, so tried to upvote both que/answers from my colleague which added 15 points, hope this comment goes through)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2015

As I said already, the workflow engine in JIRA is closely tied to issues. To do workflow on something that is not an issue you have two options 1) Write your own workflow engine 2) Rewrite JIRA so it can use workflow on things that aren't issues - this is not something you can do in an add-on

Parag Bhole November 16, 2015

Ok got it, thank you.

Suggest an answer