Workflow Post Function question

Sylvain Lanthier February 13, 2017

Good morning,

I have already in place a post function from my workflow to create a subtask when a specific transition occurs.

I am wondering if there is a way to add a popup for user to confirm if subtack creation is needed or not.  Obviously treatment would need to match user answer.

Can you help?

Thanks, Sylvain

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2017

Probably not, post-functions happen after the transition has already completed and no user interaction is possible.

A convoluted way of achieving this would be to have two transitions, one "Do xxx with subtasks" and the other "Do xxx without subtasks". You could even have another field "Create subtasks?" that would control which transition to enable, using workflow/transition Conditions.

Another way might be to have a "Create subtasks?" (NULL/Yes/No) field that is required in a validation. A user can not exit without setting a value. Then use scripting in the post-function to create the subtasks if answer is Yes.

Sylvain Lanthier February 13, 2017

Thanks Sten for the quick answer,

I very much like your suggestion of adding "Create subtasks?" (NULL/Yes/No) field and will test it today for sure!

Thanks again , Sylvain

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2017

I'd like to +lots both Sten's suggestion of a transition field to ask the user if they want to create the sub-task, and your response to it.  It works very well. 

Even when the question isn't about the sub-tasks directly - for example, asking the user "does this need to go to the security team?".  They say yes, and a sub-task is created for the security team to deal with.

There is one extra little thing to think about - the "Create subtask" field will stay on the issue.  Consider setting a post-function up to clear it on the same transition, so that the user doesn't create data that might confuse later.

Suggest an answer