Will upgrade to Jira Agile cause any data loss

Mark Philip Fabie February 17, 2016

Our community is planning to do an upgrade to JIRA Agile and was thinking will it cause us some data loss, Index and attachments? Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2016

Not sure where you'd get that idea from, but I'm happy to reassure you that you will not lose any of your data.  Functionality may change, and your data may structurally change in the background (by which I mean the database changes shape), but you will not lose data.

Before you upgrade though, always take a backup!

Mark Philip Fabie February 21, 2016

Thanks for clarifying. As I have read some questions regarding loss of data when upgrading.

Can you also help clarify to me,

1) as of now we are using JIRA version 6.0.8 - how would I know if I am using a JIRA core or a JIRA software version?

2) We wanted to upgrade the latest version 7.1.0, if we upgrade to this version is it sufficient to say that we are already upgraded to a JIRA Agile (Which I believe is the same as JIRA-Software), and do we have to shoulder additional cost for this?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2016

JIRA 6 does not have "Core or Software", it's just JIRA.  It sounds like you have the Agile add-on for it though.

JIRA 7 changes the model such that you have JIRA Core and you can add applications to that (and the two applications are available as single installs - so you can download JIRA Core, JIRA Software or JIRA Service Desk)

So, you will be going from JIRA + Agile to JIRA Software.

The licence models have changed a bit.  The upgrade itself is technically free, as your licence is still basically "we can use the current version of JIRA", but you can now separate out users and licence by usage of the applications.  Assuming you currently have 300 users, that's it, you're paying for 500 JIRA and 500 Agile users.  With the new scheme, Core and Software can be licenced separately - you could have 250 Core users and 100 Software users, and hence 250 users in total (the Software users get to use Core as well).  To establish if the changed model will change the cost, you'll need to work out how many users you have, and how many you want.

Mark Philip Fabie February 21, 2016

Thanks for clarifying.

Suggest an answer