Why my pages are taking over a minute to render

Paul Farrell March 16, 2016

Hi - I'm sure this will be a very common question but I am in an emergency situation of sorts so I have to post this question again. It surrounds performance. 

I have opened JIRA today (while it worked fine yesterday) only to find that every click to any page (boards, issues, admin area) takes about a minute to render the page. 

I am running a trial version of JIRA with the embedded H2 db. I have 233 issues in total and have a handful of plugins (Tempo). I am not yet at the end of my trial. I have also installed Confluence on the same server but I have stopped that as a diagnosis method.

I have checked the heap space - all fine. I have plenty of disk space on the server (it's a meaty EC2 instance that doesn't rely on tokens). Still, every page takes over 45 seconds to render. 

I enabled profiling and SQL logging but the logs have not given me much. Just the below from atlassian-jira.log:

016-03-16 10:54:33,014 Caesium-1-3 DEBUG ServiceRunner [c.a.j.web.filters.ThreadLocalQueryProfiler] PROFILED : 0 keys (0 unique) took 0ms/0ms : NaN%
2016-03-16 10:55:00,000 Caesium-1-1 DEBUG anonymous Mail Queue Service [c.a.j.web.filters.ThreadLocalQueryProfiler] PROFILED : 0 keys (0 unique) took 0ms/0ms : NaN%
2016-03-16 10:55:00,000 Caesium-1-1 DEBUG ServiceRunner [c.a.j.web.filters.ThreadLocalQueryProfiler] PROFILED : 0 keys (0 unique) took 0ms/0ms : NaN%
2016-03-16 10:55:32,973 Caesium-1-4 DEBUG ServiceRunner [c.a.j.web.filters.ThreadLocalQueryProfiler] PROFILED : 0 keys (0 unique) took 0ms/0ms : NaN%

I can see a time gap but I have no information on why. There is nothing in the SQL log of note but I have yet to set that to TRACE log level. 

The only thing I did this morning was to install the Tempo Planner and Tempo Folio plugins

Please, can anyone suggest even a next step in my investigation? I am at a loss and I am supposed to demo-ing JIRA to my company bosses in the morning in the hope they will agree to adopt it as a solution!!

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

My instinctive reaction here is to belt the "firebug" button in my browser and head for the "net" tab, which shows you how long things within a page are taking to load.  I suspect you'll find most of the page is quite fast and then one or two elements will be taking far much longer than the rest.

Thank-you so much for that Nic. I should have known to use dev tools to look into this. I just didn't think about it. 

In the end it came down to a CSS call I had put in the announcement banner. Because I am running on an EC2 instance, and having restarted that instance, I got a new IP which meant the call to the CSS (which used an IP address in the URL) was failing every time a page was rendered. 

I will be one with my embarrassment now smile

Thanks again

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

Ahh, well spotted.  I must admit, slow pages and hitting firebug is something I forget to do - I've spent so long finding issues with servers, I look there first and firebug ends up pushed down the list when it often should be at the top!

0 votes

Sorry, forgot to mention. I then uninstalled the Tempo plugins in case it was them. No change. 

Suggest an answer