Why isn't my search returning my labelled issues?

I've added labels to some issues.  I can log in and out of JIRA and open the Labels for the issues repeatedly, and the labels show up.  But when I search for the labels I get no results.  Why would this occur?  

4 answers

1 accepted

I found the problem.  The issues that weren't showing up didn't include the Labels as a shown field in their field configuration.  Once I updated the field configuration and reindexed the system the labels started working as expected.

Are you using the labelText: (label) syntax?  You can see more about searching here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF50/Viewing+Labels+and+Labelled+Content

Hope this helps!

Sorry, Just realized this was for JIRA and not Confluence.

Are you using JQL - labels = "LabelName" and getting nothing back?  If so, have you tried doing a re-index?

I am using labels = "LabelName" and getting nothing back.  I'll try reindexing and giving it another go.  Thanks!

So the reindexing didn't help.  I can still see my labels, correctly applied, but the search for them gives me a no results response.  Thank you for the suggestion though.

Are you using self hosted or cloud? Is it happening on all labels and all issues?

We have a self-hosted option with JIRA 6.2.3. The search seems to be failing for issues in the project I'm testing, but I have seen results returned for a general search across all projects, using labels I haven't personally added. Though when I use one of those labels in my project, I can't see that specific issue returned, even though other issues with the label in other projects are returned.

Do you have the appropriate permissions to those issues?

If I remove the browse permission I am also unable to search for labels.

After your previous response I was looking more closely and I see that the Labels show up for the tickets not in my project, but in my project they're not displayed. Maybe that's part of the problem, I'm going to look into it.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

119 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you