Why is my "Filter Subscription" returning a different result?

farkhnawaz February 8, 2021

Hi 

I recently found an issue with the filters that I have subscribed myself to.

Filter using: 
Filter_Result.PNG

This return 29 items if I search it using the above filter.

But if I add a subscription to the filter it return inconsistent results sometimes I would get 1 item and sometimes 3 items via the email.

Filter_Subscription_Results.PNG

I have tried different filters as well same thing happened again. e.g. I was expecting 184 items but get 168 via email when I subscribe to the filter.

Most people would not see the problem because they wouldn't check the filter in jira again to make sure that the items they received via email matches the item you have in jira. I have also checked in case it was returning a different filter but that's not the case.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this issue before? I would appreciate any feedback.

JIRA instance details:
JIRA standalone Server version 8.02, only using jira core.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2021

I saw cases in the past when the subscribing user is not able to see the full set due to "Issue Security" (Security Level set).
This, however would imply there is a different user involved. When person X is executing a filter and same person is subscribed to a filter it should show the same results, indeed.

The issue subscription currently shows 1 issue - from your screenshot but the filter gives back 29 results.
Can you in first step compare what is different with the 28 vs. the 1 issue?

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

I have compared it and they have the same information based on the filter query. Also each time I run the subscription manually it gives me different items via email.

Kind regards,
Farkhnawaz

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hi @farkhnawaz  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That is very strange behavior. I would go ahead and submit a support ticket to Atlassian here:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Please post back here with the resolution. 

Hi 

I have raised a support ticket thanks.

farkhnawaz February 10, 2021

Hi John,

found the fix for it. 

By doing a full re-index I was receiving the correct number of issues via email.

• Navigate to Jira administration (Cogwheel Icon) > System.
  • Select Indexing under Advanced.
  • Choose full-reindex
  • Click on Re-index.
Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Ah, the dreaded re-index, haha. I use Cloud so I forget about having to do the re-index with server. Glad you got your fix.

Suggest an answer