Why is it necessary to have administrator privilege to remove attachments from issues?

Desmond May 27, 2016

I have an issue, which I'm rewriting. I have attached files, but they are no longer valid. Why is it necessary to have administrator privilege to remove attachments from issues I created?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2016

The permission scheme is flexible. There are three levels relevant to Attachments – 

• Create Attachments
  • Delete Attachments
  • Delete own attachments

I would assume based on your question that your project is not taking advantage of Delete own attachments and that Delete attachments is only given to the Administrator Role.

Desmond May 27, 2016

Thanks. I will let my admin know.

Desmond May 27, 2016

Do I have to ask the Admin of the individual project or admin of JIRA?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2016

That depends on the config I'm afraid.

The trick here is that a "permission scheme" is a set of rules that say "people matching rule A, can do B in this project".  So, you need to look at that to find out what the rule is for "Can delete attachments".

That rule could say "groups A, B or F", and/or "current assignee of the issue", and/or "reporter" and so-on and so-on.  So, there's four broad things you might do:

1. If it's a dynamic rule like "assignee", make yourself the assignee
  2. If it's a hard rule like "group X", you need an admin to add you to a group
  3. If it's a soft rule like "role Y", then a project admin can add you to that role
  4. Worst case, modify the rule so that it includes you (only JIRA admins can do that)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events