Why is Gmail Flagging Jira Cloud Email Updates as Spam?

Jason Campbell November 24, 2015

For the past two wks our all JIRA emails have been flagged by Gmail as spam. As such, no one in our company is receive ANY JIRA emails in their Inboxes. 

I have the JIRA email address in my addressbook, but it still flags all JIRA email.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2015

Try this:

1.- Create a filter with 'from:sample@test.com' on Gmail. In example, edit the following filter: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#create-filter/from=noreply%40atlassian.com&sizeoperator=s_sl&sizeunit=s_smb

2.- Click on 'Create filter with this search'.

3.- Select the checkbox 'Never send to Spam'.

4.- Click on the button 'Create filter'.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2015
Jason Campbell November 29, 2015

That did the trick. I don't think the solution is appropriate for larger organizations, as it's quite manual....but it does allow my team to finally receive Jira email updates until Jira finally addresses the issue for themselves to protect other clients from this same issue.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2015

Yes, that solution should only be a workaround, while keeping on solving the origin of that undesired behaviour. Best regards.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2015

I'd try to contact Google Support in order to fix it definitely.

Jason Campbell November 30, 2015

Good idea, I'll hit them up. However, I think this is something Jira should be on top of....I find it hard to imagine that we're the only customer dealing w/ this issue. Thx again!

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2015

Your welcome! Maybe several users from within your organisation had flagged those emails as spam as a way to stop receiving notifications, and therefore Gmail has blacklisted JIRA's address. Anyway... I'm happy we have found kind of a solution. Regards!

Jason Campbell December 1, 2015

@Ignacio Pulgar Just FYI, it looks like we're not the only org experiencing issues....if you're curious, you can follow a feature request for the issue at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-5377

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2015

Good to know! I've voted for that issue and started following it. Regards! :)

0 votes
David Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2015

As @Ignacio Pulgar mentioned, there is a link for possible causes.

If the filtering is being too aggressive, you can configure a whitelist, see here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/60751?hl=en

Jason Campbell November 26, 2015

@David Chan [Atlassian] Whitelisting does look like it would work, but that would require me to upgrade and incur additional costs for Google for Work just so we could properly receive Jira emails.....which obviously is not ideal. If I already had a good reason for upgrading to Google for Work it wouldn't be a problem, but in this case the upgrade would be exclusively to receive Jira emails. Any other thoughts?

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2015

This is the summary of possible causes why Gmail might be flagging as spam those emails.

Try entering the email message and remove the label 'spam' being shown on the top-right corner.

Hopefully, this actions prevents from flagging as spam new messages from the same remittent.

Jason Campbell November 26, 2015

@Ignacio Pulgar I've added the Jira email address used to deliver our messages to my Contacts and manually marked ALL Jira emails as Not Spam to no avail. All Jira emails are still being sent directly into my spam folder.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events