Why in-line issue edit is not working when accessing directly via URL?

Miroslav Kravec October 9, 2015

We've got our external tool for project creation. It doesn't care about underscore in project key. Therefore we've got multiple projects containing underscore in their project keys in production environment.

I'm from service team looking for reason, why in projects containing underscore in key in-line editing doesn't work properly (when issue is accessed via URL, or via link that doesn't use AJAX).

Steps to reproduce good behaviour and error:

1. I access the issue via `Project -> Issues -> <something>`, then in-line editing works properly
  2. while I'm in this view (1st step) and I click on issue key / link, then in-line editing works properly
  3. when I refresh same page showing issue (or just enter the same URL without complete refresh), then in-line editing doesn't work at all

This behaviour hasn't been seen in projects without underscore in its key.

The JIRA version is v6.1.7#6163-sha1:94d557d.

Can't add comments, so edit:
"Administration -> Add-ons -> Behaviours" - list is empty

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2015

Do you have custom javascript or are using an add-on that does things to fields?  I ask because I can't replicate this problem on a plain JIRA 6.1, and that points to a customisation of some sort.

Miroslav Kravec October 11, 2015

Well, we've got couple of plugins installed. I've found this page https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Inline+editing+disabled+randomly, which points to Behaviours Plugin, which has been replaced by ScriptRunner. We've got installed ScriptRunner, but we haven't got any ScriptRunner field in the view, where problem occurs.

Is it possible to check, which plugins provide javascript based customizations? I would try to find the plugin which causes the problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2015

Ok, yes, Behaviours could be doing it, but you don't need a script-runner field to enable that, you just define a behaviour for an existing field. Check the list of behaviours to see if one of them could be breaking it. As for other addons - no way of knowing really, but you should look for the ones that try to do things on the front-end gui

Miroslav Kravec October 13, 2015

I can make only one comment a day :/ If you mean: "Administration -> Add-ons -> Behaviours", then this list is empty.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2015

You'll be able to comment more as your karma rises (which you get by commenting and getting answers etc) So, we've ruled out the Script-Runner/Behaviours as a possible problem. Are there other add-ons that might be trying to work with the front end (they'll all be under "user installed addons" in the add-on manager). Also one nagging doubt that I'd just want to check quickly - you do mean underscore and not hyphen or dash? i.e. your project key is something like ABC_DEF not ABC-DEF? (Oh, and while we're there, it does start with a letter and not a number or underscore?)

Miroslav Kravec October 16, 2015

Well, we've got couple of add-ons installed. Is there some troubleshooting forum for JIRA? A don't think Q/A is good site for troubleshooting. Nope, it's underscore in tested project. We've got also other projects with dots and underscores in their keys, but having underscore in key is enough to break in-line editing.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2015

This is the best place for troubleshooting - it's a large community of users who may have encountered your problem before. The other good option is to raise a "formal" support request with Atlassian directly at https://support.atlassian.com - if you do that, they will be asking you similar questions about customisations and add-ons. I can't replicate your problem on a plain JIRA, so there is definitely something unusual about yours, and that's what I've been trying to get at Next test is to see if the problem happens if you turn off all the user-installed addons. I'd also *strongly* recommend changing the keys of the projects to supportable ones - start with a letter, and never contain any characters other than underscore and alphanumerics.

Miroslav Kravec October 20, 2015

Thank you for your help. It seems, that we will have to setup test environment where we will replicate our production instance of that JIRA. And try disabling/enabling plugins there.

Suggest an answer