Why has Atlasssian made the upgrade paths so painful?

DamCoder
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2016

Surely there is a better way to do the upgrades.

We would love to follow the relases closely; But geez, you have to worry each time that something huge is going to fail and you loose your entire project while you try to stay current.  Not to mention the amount of time and research we have to do before each upgrade.

Hopefully there is focused effort inside Atlassian to make this process less demanding and concerning?

4 answers

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2016

As someone who is familiar with upgrades over the last decade, I can say for sure that it is much better now than it was a few years back. There is definitely big focus on improving the upgrade experience and I would expect it to keep getting better.

Pro Tip: Always do a test run with the same data in Prod.

0 votes
Parthiban Subramaniam September 29, 2016

Upgrades painful??

Usually I whinge and moan about the pretty much everything to do with JIRA but even I will gladly admit upgrading JIRA is not its weakness and something that is not painful but JIRA split with some plugins thrown in is a different matter I know.

If you want to follow releases closely and you have an user-base of less than 2000 and not restricted to having the data in-house you should just sign up to the hosted, that should take the pain away and lessen the burden.

Enjoy

0 votes
DamCoder
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2016

@Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group], I hope you are right.  The only problem is, we use these tools to speed up the DevOps process, and then we loose time upgrading. It's a one Pizza team right now. smile

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2016

Believe me, I can relate to what you are saying. I have seen worse too. It is certainly improving and I hope the trend continues smile

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2016

The what and the why are the same: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Also $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And also: because they can and we the users will just take it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events