Why don't you make a simple way to obtain a server ID for test/dev servers?

Deleted user May 17, 2016

People trying to run test or developer servers (JIRA OR Confluence) sometimes need a new server ID so they don't clash with the "real" server IDs.

How is documented here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-server-id-for-test-installations-285839562.html 

But given we are going through the process of finding the software version we want to download, downloading it, finding a spare place to install it, installing it, configuring it, possibly having to install a database (I haven't got this far yet), starting it up, running a setup wizard, JUST to get it to poll an Atlassian server to get a server ID, wouldn't it make more sense to make a simple webpage that gave the IDs out when you told it your product and version (and maybe a login if you wanted to make sure it was a legitimate user)?

It seems a massive case of wasted work for admins just to get a line of code.

Scott Fannen.

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user May 17, 2016

To get test servers, we've cloned the production servers so we have real data to play with (turning off notifications, etc). With IDs, we can then put them on the clones and link the clones together. 

It's not exactly a priority for me - but somewhat irritating to load a complete ecosystem to get an ID wink

...and yes, I don't expect it to be done any time soon smile 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

Um, what do you need a server id for if you're not going to actually run the server?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events