Why does a search for JQL perfectly confuse users?

Anselmo September 16, 2019

The best Google hit I found for "JQL" was this blog post: Search JIRA like a boss with JQL

But following the highly recommended favorite link there, is completely misleading (not my sense of humor).

In all of the split spaces (what the heck...) I don't have a good hit with the term "JQL" anymore, besides the fact, that the titles of those three new clouds don't tell me at all, what to expect there. "Core" is bullshit and depends highly on the target group which claims for itself what's core from its very specific perspective.

For me as a stupid user it is essential not to make choices first, if I want to learn something new. I request to be guided adequately! But this went totally wrong and I'm really pissed.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2019

Hi @Anselmo

What is it you're trying to learn? 

There are still plenty of guides and details on JQL in the Knowledge Base - for example, the third result on Google for me was this page, with details on both Server and Cloud for JQL.

If you're looking for something specific - happy to try and direct you to the right place or offer advice on how to resolve :)

Ste

Anselmo September 17, 2019

Thanks for that hint. I'm so tired of trial and error I have to do all along, because folks don't move their shit out of my way. It couldn't even look worse in my cellar.

Creating content quickly is nice. But all created content should have a kind of auto delete date if it wasn't taken care of for two years. For this a valid machine readable statement would be necessary whether something was found useful or not. A timer could show, how much "fuel" a page still has. If nobody is willing to refill, it should definitely die and leave space for better content. Virtual fuel is for free.

In times of accelerated change we need to get used to not being able to keep content, just because parts of it may still be valuable. Content has to be reinvented permanently somehow anyway. And if you water and fertilize your beloved plant, it will not die. It's just the fire and forget documents, which will not serve anybody positively all too soon.

So the difference between a living documentation and a dead one is attention which is invested on it regularly. But I cannot accept, that my attention is stressed exorbitantly by ever growing and more and more irritating content.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2019

I regularly share this article with our users and they find it useful

This vid is a tad more digestable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9uzmLSlP8

Like Anselmo likes this
Anselmo October 16, 2020

Yes, you are right, Tom. This is much easier to grasp.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events