Why does Jira ask if I want to re-index every time we run a backup?

carl sjoquist November 17, 2016

We have a cron job that uses fsarchiver to backup the JIRA VM.  It stops these services 

'jira', 'jira-davmail', 'mysql' to run the backup and then restarts them after the backup. 
Everytime I go into Jira admin, it says that "Plugins" has changed, and notes the time (which
is the time of the backup) and asks if I want to re-index... Any thoughts on why? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2016

Does your backup process touch the files in the home directory in any way?  And are you backing up the database with the database tools?

carl sjoquist November 17, 2016

The backup does an fsarchiver backup of the VM's boot and JIRA filesystems, but mounts them as read-only.   Only using fsarchiver, no database tools used.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2016

My guess is that the read-only access is being caught as a change to the data, so it's asking for a rebuild.

Suggest an answer